Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

much clearer / acurate discription then i gave TY xel.

this does beg the question though.

Why the hell did they degrade the pet foci? just phasing some out, and thinking to themselves "this wont be as good as it used to be" woulda done the trick. All they did was cause alot of confuzzlment and bitching.

God damn i wish the devs were smart enough to write scripts to make data base entries for them.

Some where there is a dead body I should be playing with...

Comment

Originally posted by Brahman@Oct 27 2006, 09:18 AM
      this does beg the question though.

Why the hell did they degrade the pet foci?
      The general debate about why Summoner's Boon is still adding X% to pets, even though it was mostly itemized for PoP era pets, has been around for over a year now, in some information circles. The idea was that pet foci should degrade like normal foci, but since pet foci don't work like standard foci there would be more work involved in implementing such a change, as regular foci take care of themselves once they're set in stone.

Another problem is the growingly excessive range of foci that were effectively working on all "current" pets, there was too much saturation at the lower end (so to speak). Minion of Darkness is easily and readily available for anyone to aquire, that can even cast a TSS-era pet, so that made a good starting point for being the first foci that affected the new pets.

Addressing the 2nd problem more or less forced them to address the first problem.

The reason why they're making pet foci "degrade" is easier to see if you look at the whole thing at once.

Before TSS:
      Code:
      -Base
      -Summoner's Boon
      -Summoner's Blessing
      -Minion of Darkness
      -Minion of Eternity
      -Ritual Summoning
      -Minion of Discord
      -Servant of Chaos
      -Spire Servant
      Had they simply just retired the first 2:
      Code:
      -Base
      -
      -
      -Minion of Darkness
      -Minion of Eternity
      -Ritual Summoning
      -Minion of Discord
      -Servant of Chaos
      -Spire Servant
      -Servitor of Scale
      Doing it this way creates a new problem in that if you have no focus, you have an incredibly weak pet compared to even having the "weakest" of applicable foci. Shifting every applicable focus down 2 notches was the only way to really address the new problem (the granularity between non-focused and focused pets), and it happened to address the first problem at the same time.

Currently:
      Code:
      -Base
      -Minion of Darkness
      -Minion of Eternity
      -Ritual Summoning
      -Minion of Discord
      -Servant of Chaos
      -Spire Servant
      -Servitor of Scale
      ---------------------------------------------

The biggest misunderstanding from the "pet" community is that it's assumed that this degradation is across the board. The degradation of pet foci only applies to TSS pets, all previous eras of pets and the foci that work on them remain unchanged.

Next time level caps are increased, it's safe to expect that Minion of Darkness and Minion of Eternity will be retired, and the tiers will shift once again. Depending on how many new pet foci are introduced between now and then, and the availability of currently existing foci to casual players, retiring Ritual Summoning along with MoDarkness and MoEternity isn't unfathomable either.
      "People are as entitled to their own aesthetically stunted taste as I am entitled to tell them how stupid they are, and as a good American, I relish the notion." -Dr. David Thorpe
      Grand Occultist Xelgadis & Darkreaper Xelinia - Cestus Dei - *Retired*

[16:37:42] [1] [80:Yelena]: Welcome to Kilrogg, now stop playing like shit.

Comment

Originally posted by winchester20@Oct 27 2006, 01:34 AM
        Looking for the info as well. Saw the blade for sale in the Baz for 150k, and there's just no way I can shell out that kind of plat for one item. One really nice detail about the blade is that it is tradeable, not attuneable, so I can share it between mine and the wife's pet classes.
        Blackfeather Roost, third isle, random spawn called Enraged Griffon..

Comment

I've been 75 for a while now, and have never had any pet focus. Groups are kinda hard to come by on test so getting the LDoN Pet Focus isn't likely. Is there any pet focus that will effect my pets that I can reasonably solo or single group?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonrago@Oct 30 2006, 01:28 PM
            I've been 75 for a while now, and have never had any pet focus. Groups are kinda hard to come by on test so getting the LDoN Pet Focus isn't likely. Is there any pet focus that will effect my pets that I can reasonably solo or single group?
            DoN range (good) - Orb of Swarming Darkness
            DoN range (ebil) - Sphere of Swarming Darkness
            Minion of Darkness +13% DPS
            1: Pet Power Increase(20)
            2: Limit: Max Level(75)
            3: Limit: Min Level(59)

Sold on DoN vendors for Radiant or Ebon crystals. Buy those in the baz, and solo a pet focus :P
            Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

Originally posted by Xislaben+Oct 30 2006, 03:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xislaben &#064; Oct 30 2006, 03:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Jonrago@Oct 30 2006, 01:28 PM
              I&#39;ve been 75 for a while now, and have never had any pet focus. Groups are kinda hard to come by on test so getting the LDoN Pet Focus isn&#39;t likely. Is there any pet focus that will effect my pets that I can reasonably solo or single group?
              DoN range (good) - Orb of Swarming Darkness
              DoN range (ebil) - Sphere of Swarming Darkness
              Minion of Darkness +13% DPS
              1: Pet Power Increase(20)
              2: Limit: Max Level(75)
              3: Limit: Min Level(59)

Sold on DoN vendors for Radiant or Ebon crystals. Buy those in the baz, and solo a pet focus :P[/b][/quote]
              At current rates on test that&#39;s 34,000pp :blink:

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jarfi.
                Intropy Coldheart and Maethros Wildheart, Officer of Spiritwind Avengers of Quellious

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons......for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonrago@Oct 30 2006, 09:41 PM
                  Ohhhh you plat on *that* server.

Any other server it&#39;s like 2k plat ><

I created a toon there, realized I couldn&#39;t betabuff or copy over to test things, and said fuck it.

Go solo DoN missions for crystals. Just need three total in group to request em, if you can find that many people online :P
                  Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

Originally posted by Xislaben+Oct 31 2006, 09:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xislaben @ Oct 31 2006, 09:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jonrago@Oct 30 2006, 09:41 PM
                    Ohhhh you plat on *that* server.

Any other server it&#39;s like 2k plat ><

I created a toon there, realized I couldn&#39;t betabuff or copy over to test things, and said fuck it.

Go solo DoN missions for crystals. Just need three total in group to request em, if you can find that many people online :P [/b][/quote]
                    Rads are 26 on Quell. so about 8K.
                    range\'>"Darkness is... Death's ignorance, & the Devil's time."

Ygorl of Quellious in the 58th summer.

Comment

Ok, have a question. I currently have the Minion of Darkness off of the Orb of Swarming Darkness. I just picked up the Vexed Silk Pants which I have the Transulent Power Source to turn them in the Shadow-Vexed version. I would then get the Minion of Eternity.

Is the +2% increase in dps worth it for this pet upgrade or should I save the TPS for another item if I manage to get one?
                      Win's Magelo

Comment

Got a new one
                        Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

I just got the Qvic sandals with ritual summoning.... how come my lvl 65 pet Child of Bertoxxolus doesnt get a focus emote ?

Comment

Pet focus does not emote. Ever. Trust the bigger max hits, level increase, etc.

Nice item Xis - didn't realize a new focus had even came into the game with TBS.
                            --Retired, May 2012--
                            The
                            Edge-
                            Walkers

Comment

servitor of scale

I've recently acquired servitor of scale focii,and my previous was the anguish focii, so i skipped the demi focii completely. DPS increase? yeah. But its damn near nothing. I mean, the idea of having stronger/better pets is very sexy, but these new focii do practically nothing, its pathetic.

I don't even understand, both demi/TSS fociii say pet power increase (45)....WHERES THE INCREASE?? And considering the fact that with EACH expansion our pets become less and less important compared to our overall DPS is just depressing.

All I'm asking for is that the focii has a significant impact on our pets performance, all around, RELATIVE to our own DPS. Otherwise, DKP is much better spent on fire/poison/magic focii, mana pres, etc. This is such a joke, how has this not been addressed already?
                              Master Tinker Dhau Knomancer

Comment

Originally posted by Brahman View Post
                                basically...

i'm about 90% sure the devs set up a "new pet" for every "pet power". It isn't an actual mod as far as i know.
                                I can support this. I remember just before TSS came out that one of the dev's (sorry I don't remember which) said that when you focus a pet is summons a totally different creature. That is why they put a minimum on pet focus, the couldn't make changes to all the pets cause it was too time consuming.

Loketh on Prexus.
                                Loketh and his Toys

Comment

Working...
                                X