No announcement yet.

Are you sure Rune of Death is best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If looking for a red con, there are a few of these throughout Katta (79 lvl max). 1 most notably in one of the broken down buildings to the W of greenhouse. Doesn't summon..

a Shissar wraithmaker: http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=24833
    I am just a figment of your imagnation.
    You have a great imagination

Comment

"On higher level mobs the pets won't often hit max, and the belief is that the +65str adds more to the average hit than +7% all mod w/e."

It was my understanding that Stat Increases on pets did absolutely nothing. I'm old school tho so things may have changed.
      Last edited by Rorthoz; 06-07-2007, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Heck no! STR and DEX are big contributors to pet damage, for the same reasons that those stats are important to melee class characters. Attack buffs really help too. My ranger atk buffs seem to make a nice difference, not to mention the STR buff he has that stacks with Rune. I know STA doesn't do anything for pets, but I think that's the only one that is worthless to them.
        Intropy Coldheart and Maethros Wildheart, Officer of Spiritwind Avengers of Quellious

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons......for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rorthoz View Post

It was my understanding that Stat Increases on pets did absolutely nothing. I'm old school tho so things may have changed.
          Two stats - STR and DEX have been parsed extensively by mages; pets are their fetish and arguably most important aspect of their class as it is also the most volatile. Since every mob a mage solos is tanked by their pet(s) and within range of spam, it is very easy for them to generate incredibly accurate parses with low margin for error. As a former mage, this is what I remember. This is spell components and not item stats

STR seems to directly add to ATK - it increases the "average" hit of pets, much like increased ATK does for players. It does nothing for increasing minimum or maximum hits - it simply allows them to hit for max for more often, minimum for less often - thereby increasing average damage.

DEX seems to increase pet overall melee performance - specifically increasing the chance to score double attacks, dual-wield checks or in general - accuracy. Additionally, DEX used to increase the proc rate for pets - not going against the myth that you can proc more than the base weapon rate - but rather to put the pet DEX stat at or above 200 so it could proc at the base weapon rate. With current pets, it appears pets finally have innate DEX sufficient to proc weapons at 2x minute rate naked.

AGI- for a long while it was believed did absolutely nothing. If it in fact does benefit the pet regarding AC, it is so minor as to not exceed the margin of error during parses. Some are fanatical about it being beneficial; others equally fanatical about it being worthless.

Additionally, all mod2s and non-base stat improvements both on spells -and- items (ATK, Accuracy, etc) do directly impact pet performance. They seem to gain the same benefit as players. Outside of that, the only item stats pet seem to gain benefit from are AC, HP, Mana.

On a side note - and back to the original topic - I have discovered that the +STR buff from a woven frost giant beard (Storm Strength +35 STR) is enough to make our 67 and 72 haste buffs slightly better than RoD. Barely. It is still not enough of a difference to make me bank ornate pants.
          --Retired, May 2012--
          The
          Edge-
          Walkers

Comment

I was totally floored by this thread when I read it yesterday afternoon, so I went and tested it out last night (not very thoroughly) while doing some nostalgic farming/revenge-massacre in Lower Guk. I was using the Lvl 67 Warrior pet, Lost Soul.

With Glyph (67 Pet buff) Jabober's max hit was 93 and with Rune of Death his max hit was 90, BUT like people are saying I definitely noticed that with Glyph he did not connect for high damage nearly as much as he did with Rune of Death! I was pretty shocked. Damage output over time just by looking at the spam seemed pretty obvious that Rune of Death produced more DPS, but then again these mobs were gray cons and higher cons might be affected more by skill mods.... who knows.

Looks like I will be using RoD for awhile, at least until SOE decides to add a STR component to the high level pet buffs. Which I think they should.
            Last edited by Dravok; 06-08-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrat View Post
              Two stats - STR and DEX have been parsed extensively by mages; pets are their fetish and arguably most important aspect of their class as it is also the most volatile. Since every mob a mage solos is tanked by their pet(s) and within range of spam, it is very easy for them to generate incredibly accurate parses with low margin for error. As a former mage, this is what I remember. This is spell components and not item stats

STR seems to directly add to ATK - it increases the "average" hit of pets, much like increased ATK does for players. It does nothing for increasing minimum or maximum hits - it simply allows them to hit for max for more often, minimum for less often - thereby increasing average damage.

DEX seems to increase pet overall melee performance - specifically increasing the chance to score double attacks, dual-wield checks or in general - accuracy. Additionally, DEX used to increase the proc rate for pets - not going against the myth that you can proc more than the base weapon rate - but rather to put the pet DEX stat at or above 200 so it could proc at the base weapon rate. With current pets, it appears pets finally have innate DEX sufficient to proc weapons at 2x minute rate naked.

AGI- for a long while it was believed did absolutely nothing. If it in fact does benefit the pet regarding AC, it is so minor as to not exceed the margin of error during parses. Some are fanatical about it being beneficial; others equally fanatical about it being worthless.

Additionally, all mod2s and non-base stat improvements both on spells -and- items (ATK, Accuracy, etc) do directly impact pet performance. They seem to gain the same benefit as players. Outside of that, the only item stats pet seem to gain benefit from are AC, HP, Mana.

On a side note - and back to the original topic - I have discovered that the +STR buff from a woven frost giant beard (Storm Strength +35 STR) is enough to make our 67 and 72 haste buffs slightly better than RoD. Barely. It is still not enough of a difference to make me bank ornate pants.
              is that including putting the str buff from the beard on the pet along with RoD?

Some where there is a dead body I should be playing with...

Comment

originally post by scrat
                I have discovered that the +STR buff from a woven frost giant beard (Storm Strength +35 STR) is enough to make our 67 and 72 haste buffs slightly better than RoD
                I run around with my 72 ranger, so I always have storm strength, howl of the predator (+3% double atk bonus and +90 atk), and strength of the foreststalker (+90 atk) on my pet at all times. I also have the first set of pet crit AAs. From your above statement, do you think I would be better off using Sigil?
                Intropy Coldheart and Maethros Wildheart, Officer of Spiritwind Avengers of Quellious

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons......for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

No, I did not STR buff pet using Rune to see how much better it performed - or if STR+Sigil is better/less than STR+Rune, which I would bank money Rune win by an equal margin of no STR, Rune v. Sigil.

I have no idea (nor the means) to determine what the maximum amount of STR our pets can get and remain beneficial. It is my assumption that pets do have a STR cap - what the distance b/t naked v. maxed is something that would take an awful lot of time parsing & buffing to determine.

Winchester - IMO even if Sigil parsed slightly better with your ranja buffs v. Rune...I would still use Rune. It would take a significant increase (20+%) to convince me to bother using Sigil. 30 second load/recast time, 20 minute duration (with ext. enhancement VI) is the suck when you can pop Rune without wasting a spell slot, takes 8 seconds, 0 mana and lasts 30% longer.

Also remember, a 20% increase in pet DPS (which is 10% give or take of total DPS) is still only a 2.0% increase in total DPS. Instead of simply factoring that bonus percentage, you need to also consider the additional time wasted by using Sigil i.e. mem, wait 30 seconds, cast, un-mem, mem DoT. It's been a long, long while since I needed to stop and hit OoC med every 20 minutes or less to allow Sigil hassle-free use - and with a ranger box I can assume you enjoy longer active periods than I. Sigil wearing off before you are prepared for it (mid-kite) would invalidate it's benefit.
                  --Retired, May 2012--
                  The
                  Edge-
                  Walkers

Comment

Yeah, I fooled around with it last night. With Rune vs Sigil, and even just eyeballing it, the pet was hitting for max way more with Rune than he was with Sigil. It was that obvious. Plus for the other reasons you stated. I have the pants for casting Rune. Waiting to cast Sigil drove me slightly bonkers. Even if they ever get around to putting a str component to Sigil, it's so convenient having those pants I just can't imagine ever stopping to mem a pet buff. I'm just too spoiled.
                    Last edited by winchester20; 06-11-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

You'd have to know the softcap for your pets STR stat. This would take forever to parse and test for me. If you have someone with a STR buff, cast it and your rune of death and see if the DPS is different from just using your rune of death. I'm sure it will be. Then add that clickie to it. If it adds DPS and its worth it to you continue to do it. Sounds like more trouble than its worth to me, but pets are overrated IMO.

Comment

I've searched on the site a fair bit and was wondering if anyone could provide me with a link to a good parser that's fairly easy to use. I'm only lvl 60, but I'd love to be able to see what kind of damage I'm doing.

Also, if I'm two boxing my chanter, will I be able to discern dmg done by me, vs dmg done by chanter?

Thanks for the assistance,

Luxxor
                        Firiona Vie Server

Comment

Ranger STR buff is the same as the buff from the frost giant beard, so there isn't much more experimentation I could do. One thing that does make our pet take a step up in DPS is when I'm lucky enough to find the new pet weps with the 235 DD procs. When I get my hands on those, I like to log in my wife's chanter, and throw on Speed of Salik and Night's Dark Terror. The hastes don't stack, but the crit percentage bonus is nice, along with the DEX bonuses from both buffs. Really makes those weapons fire like all hell.

Comment

Working...
                          X