pet holding aggro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pet holding aggro

ive been trying to use my 87 pet as tank but having major troubles because of aggro i keep getting summoned. ive just recently returned to the necro class and i think im missing something. i alwyas known dots are huge aggro but wow

i have subtlety maxd, i use spectral rage swords or whatnot and necrotic boils. if i dont position it right , or if im stuck in a small room, the merc healer gets aggro and gets beat on also. about the only pet tanking aa's i have are hastened fortify companion maxd and fortify compainion rk 1. and aegis

i usually cast nos/thoughtburn/reavers/demise/quickie/quickie then effigy if i can but usually get summoned after the 3rd spell unless i wait 10seconds between each spell

are there some items or aa lines im missing?

How often are you feigning? Even in a strong group with my warrior tanking I find myself flopping starting after 3rd cast, and then every 2nd cast following. And a failed feign can get me summoned.

When I pet tank (and its kinda rare) I feign pretty much as soon as it becomes available. Sometimes when flopped I'll wait out a DoT tick before standing to ensure agro dump.

Small areas are the devil because mercs are stupid and tend to hang out in the open area i.e. where the fight happens..and mercs=players regarding mobs ignoring pets if a player/merc is within melee range.

Also, Pet flury aa is probably the most powerful pet-taunt improvement we have since pets rely primarily on their swing agro for hate generation. If you intend to pet tank, this aa series is equally vital as the tanking ones.
    --Retired, May 2012--
    The
    Edge-
    Walkers

Comment

Originally posted by Dathedi View Post
      ive been trying to use my 87 pet as tank but having major troubles because of aggro i keep getting summoned. ive just recently returned to the necro class and i think im missing something. i alwyas known dots are huge aggro but wow

i have subtlety maxd, i use spectral rage swords or whatnot and necrotic boils. if i dont position it right , or if im stuck in a small room, the merc healer gets aggro and gets beat on also. about the only pet tanking aa's i have are hastened fortify companion maxd and fortify compainion rk 1. and aegis

i usually cast nos/thoughtburn/reavers/demise/quickie/quickie then effigy if i can but usually get summoned after the 3rd spell unless i wait 10seconds between each spell

are there some items or aa lines im missing?

You biggest issue (from what I can tell) seems to be in your methodology. Most necros use regular FD (Improved Death Peace AA) to keep aggro down during fights. IDP is insta-cast and it only takes .5 sec or so to stand so you can reliably hit IDP/stand in between casting dots (when gems are grey) without losing any dps. IDP has a recast time of 4 seconds I believe (despite alla/raidloot saying zero) so the ideal format to use is:

dot, dot, IDP, dot, dot, IDP etc.

I personally would save DE for when you actually DO get aggro. Our War pet can hold decent aggro with 2x rageswords as long as you are pretty religious about following that format. Sometimes I even stay down for an early dot tick since I always lead off with swift dots (big big aggro) after pet swarm to give the pet a little bit of a head start.

Other things that could have some affect: make sure you always keep haste on your pet (faster swings mean more aggro), I don't pretend to actually know but I would assume that flurries would create extra aggro (so the flurry aas will help some, don't believe melee criticals do anything for pet aggro), you could use necrotic boils before each fight (I wouldn't personally due to tedious mem/demem or loss of a spell slot for a minor spell), and the last thing that I can think of atm is the TSS robe click (it has a pet hate proc on it).

If you are fighting a named you should use silent casting before engage. It basically guarantees your pet will hold aggro (even if you rarely FD). Silent Casting is a highly underrated aa btw.

edit: Scrat types quicker and more concise ><

Comment

so thats it, i probably am not feigning as much as i should. id guess i do about 5 times a fight (3 as the direct result of summons) on hot trash which is a 90sec fight. i have tried to save it for when i "need" it but thats logical i should use it every chance. i didnt know that mercs act the same as a player with pets. that changes things and can be dealt with. so flurry it is, ill start dumping aa there next. no doubt anything that doesnt summon its way more efficient to rootrot but its actually fun to play with pet tanking and i need the practice. thanks for the help!

Comment

i didnt know about the tss robe, that looks great. i did finish silent casting and reinforement mastery and hastened silent , i still need quickened silent i guess because some times im so eager to cook em up i blatantly ignore using silent when its up because of the long cast time. that thought just occurred to me while typing this. plus it never fails when i use it on trash a named pops up next

Comment

i didnt know about the tss robe, that looks great. i did finish silent casting and reinforement mastery and hastened silent , i still need quickened silent i guess because some times im so eager to cook em up i blatantly ignore using silent when its up because of the long cast time. that thought just occurred to me while typing this. plus it never fails when i use it on trash a named pops up next
            Oh yea, I only use silent when burning hard (named or raids) and never on trash unless my group gets a bunch of adds and I want to stay off aggro while trying to burn them down.

Think of using FD in a proactive manner rather than reactive. If you have been summoned than you have already failed. It's just like healing for a really really hard fight. The healer needs to spam heals even if the tank is at 100 when the healer starts to cast, it may not be when the heal lands. Healing reactively kills tanks, FDing reactively kills necros (or at minimum, their dps)!

Comment

This is your main problem:

about the only pet tanking aa's i have are hastened fortify companion maxd and fortify compainion rk 1. and aegis
              Swing aggro is directly related to the number of attempts (swings) made. NPC swing hate is based on the total melee dps that a pet or PC /could/ have done to them, whether the swings resulted in hits or not. Get some pet flurry AAs and you should see this problem diminish significantly.

They are:
              Quickening of Death (20 ranks)
              Companion's Alacrity (3 ranks)

Slowsil
              - 88 Ogre Shaman (box)
              Imaim - 92 Barbarian Warrior (alt)
              Originally posted by encephalitis
              The Fail is strong with this one.

Comment

One additional thing to consider is the timing of your FD. If you can stay down during the tick its more effective than any other time. There are many times where I've done a quick feign and stand only to get resummoned.

Silent casting is good but no need to max it as the last rank doesn't actually do anything.

Everything else that has been mentioned is good stuff and should get you on track.
                Solithan

Comment

Do not forget to turn pet taunt on

Also haste is huge. I usually play with the different spells and see how many i can cast til i get summoned. Than use that as your template. 3 spells fd 3 spells fd

Comment

The Skelly Swarm spells are low aggro and good damage, use those too if you are of level to have the spells.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivamort View Post
                      The Skelly Swarm spells are low aggro and good damage, use those too if you are of level to have the spells.
                      Sorry for the potential derail inc, but Viva I just noticed your sympathetic aug changes. You been running like that long enough to have formed an solid opinion?

Edit: last time I checked your profile you had nuke proc augs poking out everywhere like a 16th century man o' war.
                      --Retired, May 2012--
                      The
                      Edge-
                      Walkers

Comment

Originally posted by barallron View Post
                        Do not forget to turn pet taunt on
                        Hopefully someone can verify what I am about to say because it may all be psychological but I swear it seems like I actually take aggro from the pet more often when I have taunt turned on. I had assumed this was because taunt puts the taunter at 1 hate over whoever has the most hate (which would be you). Once your next set of dot ticks come rolling with your pet at one hate over you after a successful taunt, voila you are top on hate again. I quit using pet taunt long ago because of this. If pet taunt works different than melee taunt please let me know, like I said I could be totally wrong it is just what I have observed over the years.

I definitely second using the swarm pets in your arsenal like Vivamort suggested, they stun the mobs quite a bit. Generally I open with the 2 pet swarms and send in my pet at the same time, then the 2 tickers FD, 2 dots, FD, 2 dots, FD rinse and repeat. If needed on a particularly tough mob I will use the opening skelly swarm time to debuff (if I didn't on incoming) and scorch/slow the mob if the fight is difficult enough to warrant it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenocyde View Post
                          Hopefully someone can verify what I am about to say because it may all be psychological but I swear it seems like I actually take aggro from the pet more often when I have taunt turned on.
                          me thinks youre right

Comment

Don't discount stun either. When a mob is stunned it is kinda "inactive" so if you fd while it is stunned and then stand while stunned you get no benefit from going FD. I have seen it alot in older content or when fighting blues with my pet and a mage pet. The mob stays near perpetually stunned. But when it does unstun it comes right for me since fd has done nothing.

Comment

One additional thing to consider is the timing of your FD. If you can stay down during the tick its more effective than any other time.
                              What Soli said is one of the best ways to control your aggro. Timing it just right will save you from getting hit. Give it a try, you'll be glad Soli mentioned it.

I do this alot in groups because alot of tanks cant hold aggro worth a shit.

Comment

Working...
                              X