pet holding aggro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jenocyde View Post
    Hopefully someone can verify what I am about to say because it may all be psychological but I swear it seems like I actually take aggro from the pet more often when I have taunt turned on. I had assumed this was because taunt puts the taunter at 1 hate over whoever has the most hate (which would be you). Once your next set of dot ticks come rolling with your pet at one hate over you after a successful taunt, voila you are top on hate again. I quit using pet taunt long ago because of this. If pet taunt works different than melee taunt please let me know, like I said I could be totally wrong it is just what I have observed over the years.
    I have always wondered about this but have never been able to really correlate an aggro issue with my pet taunting so idk. Maybe I'll just have to play for a few weeks without pet taunt and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by scrat View Post
      Sorry for the potential derail inc, but Viva I just noticed your sympathetic aug changes. You been running like that long enough to have formed an solid opinion?

Edit: last time I checked your profile you had nuke proc augs poking out everywhere like a 16th century man o' war.
      I don't know if reduce hate augs make a real difference for me, but that is because I don't have an easy way to see if I am getting aggro less from doing the same thing as I always did. I was raiding a bit more so thought it would help when I was silent casting, from the non cast aggro (dot ticks, RB or MR procs, or potion procs, etc). But I FD often enough it isn't a issue in anycase. I have it on my list to switch to mana proc augs, those are probably the best way to go if one wants to root rot.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivamort View Post
        I don't know if reduce hate augs make a real difference for me, but that is because I don't have an easy way to see if I am getting aggro less from doing the same thing as I always did. I was raiding a bit more so thought it would help when I was silent casting, from the non cast aggro (dot ticks, RB or MR procs, or potion procs, etc). But I FD often enough it isn't a issue in anycase. I have it on my list to switch to mana proc augs, those are probably the best way to go if one wants to root rot.
        I've actually found that silent casting is pretty much pure win. I can almost not FD at all during silent and still not get aggro. I need to play around with it more to see how far I can take it because so far, when hitting silent I've never been summoned...

Comment

If root rotting, you may also wanna look for the Zykean's Iris. Drops from Zykean in Fear Itself and can also drop in the House Upper mission. Procs a 2 tick disease dot on a mob that lands for 210-ish non crit and 680-ish crit.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiyee View Post
            If root rotting, you may also wanna look for the Zykean's Iris. Drops from Zykean in Fear Itself and can also drop in the House Upper mission. Procs a 2 tick disease dot on a mob that lands for 210-ish non crit and 680-ish crit.
            huhwhat? no wai!

edit: looks like there are quite a few of those dot procs in game http://everquest.allakhazam.com/sear...pathetic+Pulse but i don't think most are being used atm. The only big bummer here is that it would take up a chaotic power proc =(
            Last edited by Vanlor; 05-06-2011, 04:34 AM.

Comment

lot of good stuff, thanks

ive been searching for good aggro reduction augs in house of thule actually. it doesnt seem like there are near as many options as there were in UF. as for silent casting, i played a raid wiz for a while and never ever got summoned when SC was going, so id hope its the same with dots. i wish necros had a mindfreeze type spell but this is an adjustment i have to make - wiz class has so many aggro drop/reduction forms i figured there was some aa line i was missing with necros. i guess it does boil down to stop drop and roll....so ill probably map fd behind some some dot and see how that works. or i need to remap some keys so my death peace and stand are closer together if ill be doin this dance every 3 spells

swarm pets do rock, ive been using them often. ive used this downtime to try to streamline my spell set for 1)root 2)group 3)pet tank 4)raid . but its all on paper and cant keep my focus or attention until i start tinkering with it in game.

i found a wonderful pet tank related post here while i was looking for recast time on pet DA #58 :
              http://www.necrotalk.com/showthread....on+Aura&page=6

necros are really lucky, this is probably the best class site ive seen. ive got a billion questions but didnt want to set off spam alarms! if EQ stays down much longer i may have to

Comment

On my hotbar since the moment I got each AA FD = 1, sit = 2, invis = 3. You will use those 3 in conjunction more times than you can count (literally).

It's just natural for me to FD after every 2 dots in ALL situations. I have to hold myself back when using silent casting (since it isn't necessary to FD as often then). Also, if you FD under a mob and are off aggro, you can stand/invis fast enough that you will not get aggro (provided you didn't have aggro when you stood, you have aa invis, and the mob does not SI)

I have had all 10 available saved spell sets maxed for a long time now and am still super pissed that they won't up that number cuz I want more...

On decently long raid burn fights I use 3 different spell sets. If the mob can't be turned into a plant I would use 3 slightly different spell sets. That right there takes up 6 slots... add in 1 for fire resistant, 1 for grouping, 1 for root rotting, 1 for kiting, 1 for pet tanking, 1 for buffs, and 1 for super gay resistant mobs and you have 13. You have no idea how very mad this all makes me ><

Dath, you should consider subscribing to NT. We have some pretty leet info in the subscriber only section (that DoN guide that Scrat just brought out the other day is from in there and that's just one example of the goodies inside). I wouldn't say that the info in there = the info out here, but there is a lot of cool stuff in there that is not out here (including a much more thorough pet tanking guide).

Comment

Anyone else like the irony that dot proc augs are called XXX pulse of something, and most wanted by the class least likely to have a pulse?

As far as eating a power proc, if you are using them mostly for root rotting since they wont break root you wont be nuking to get a proc. And on raids it might be annoying to lose 1-2 a set of procs but overall I think they are a plus.
                  Last edited by Aiyee; 05-06-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

i noticed i generally fd/cast in the same order.

i am thinking about doing

/cast 1
                    /cast 2
                    /altactive XX

as one macro. it may help people who forget to fd. (i sometimes do on raids :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Aiyee View Post
                      Anyone else like the irony that dot proc augs are called XXX pulse of something, and most wanted by the class least likely to have a pulse?

As far as eating a power proc, if you are using them mostly for root rotting since they wont break root you wont be nuking to get a proc. And on raids it might be annoying to lose 1-2 a set of procs but overall I think they are a plus.
                      UF robe requires no nuking!

Originally posted by Xnao View Post
                      i noticed i generally fd/cast in the same order.

i am thinking about doing

/cast 1
                      /cast 2
                      /altactive XX

as one macro. it may help people who forget to fd. (i sometimes do on raids :P)
                      I think I have too much lag to reliably rely on macros for casting dots. I'm fairly certain that I can cast them faster myself (since you have to adjust the pauses for normal time + lag whereas you can just spam the shit out of your next dot key and it will fire at the earlier point).

It might work, let me know how it goes! Don't forget to build in for fizzles (or ur fubar)

Comment

so im bored and cleaning out my dvr, midway through my 8th episode of law and order and this hits me.

does this work on one key :
                        /alt act 933
                        /stand

for years ive used the 0 key as my "oh crap" on all my characters . if i did this and made my 0 key the above 2 lines..i would either fd OR i would pop up if i was already down , right?

this would sure be easier than rearranging keys. i dont think there would be need for a /pause in there since theres a .5 sec cast time..the stand command would just be ignored midcast if i began to feign . im guessing if such a key does work its been posted someplace else and i apologize,please bear with me im still exploring the class

im kind of scared to map fd directly behind a dot cause i like to see the actual spell icons so i can see if its greyed out(if that makes sense). plus i imagine it would become a problem if i feigned every cast of a certain dot or dot combos. it would work great if its a long boss fight though where movement and such is not an issue and dot patterns continue for long times.

Comment

/alt act 933
                          /stand

would likely work with improved death peace.

you would also likely want a pause in there, a slight one. just so you stay fd a sec or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnao View Post
                            /alt act 933
                            /stand

would likely work with improved death peace.

you would also likely want a pause in there, a slight one. just so you stay fd a sec or two.
                            Reading comprehension fail Xnao (or typo fail).

/alt act 933
                            /stand

Likely this would work the way you are talking with regular Death Peace since it has that cast time. It likely would NOT work with Improved Death Peace since that is insta cast (aka, it would force you to stand immediately). Granted, that would be good for raid burns or regular killing (to FD/stand with one key push) but it would be bad for anytime you want to STAY FD.

(Xnao misunderstood your purpose)

Somewhat unrelated, I have thought about (and should) map Improved Death Peace and Death's Effigy to the same hotkey like this:

/alt act (death's effigy)
                            /alt act (improved death peace)

This way, if my recast timer for DE isn't up yet, I will still FD. I have had more than once where I reacted and pushed my DE hotkey without making sure it was up yet, heh.

Comment

Working...
                            X