Pet while root rotting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet while root rotting

Hello! I am new to necromancy. I have played a ranger since 1999 and am ashamed to say I have only dobbled in other classes, never taking them seriously. I recently returned to everquest activating my old account and began headshotting my way through RoF. Durring this time, I made friend with a necromancer in game. I thouroughly enjoyed bow/dot kiting and root rotting with him. But I was blown away at how he was soloing yellow and red mobs almost carelessly. Rangers can do it.. and do it well. I'll be the first to tell you; but, not like a necro can! Anyways back on topic. With this friend, we decided one day to swap rolls. Thus began my adventure of Necromancy! Since then, sadly, he has dissapeared on both the ranger and necro. Leaving me a solo necromancer. I am currently level 88 and snare kiting in HoT. It is great exp solo, but i always seem to run into a snake that is hiding in the grass or a dog that happens to pat while im casting. I had never root rotted before this. While making my first attempts at it, I learned rather quickly that my dps was going to be staggered at my pets inability to stay alive while doing this. My question is, what do i do with my pet while i am root rotting? I feel like Ricky Bobby the first time he was on camera... I just dont know what to do with my hands does his damage even matter in this?
    Last edited by Nethrix; 04-01-2013, 06:55 AM.

nothing.. the only pet you can really use is swarm of the decay. Anything else would be pet tanking and that will take a little more. You can keep him up if you feel lonely and need some one to talk to though. Sometimes at those level's i used him as a speed bump since root was unreliable. Even Pestilence can be an issue until you have all it's aa's

Comment

Yeah just keep him as a body guard for you so you don't have to share exp with a merc to hear your pet. Don't use swarm pets if you're root rotting or they will break your roots. I root one and kill another with swarm pets and swift dots. This way PP is up again so I can root another close by.

Comment

yes not much for pet when you root rot. As an FYI, previous testing shows that root rotting is only marginally less XP then kiting so many still consider it a viable strategy.

Welcome back.
        Solithan

Comment

Originally posted by solithan View Post
          yes not much for pet when you root rot. As an FYI, previous testing shows that root rotting is only marginally less XP then kiting so many still consider it a viable strategy.

Welcome back.
          I'm going to disagree here, I've tried the root/rot method vs kiting, and I have to say, kiting I'm able to obliterate my root rot amount of aa I can get during a lesson burn.

unless you're using pestilant paralysis, your root duration isn't nearly as reliable, whereas if you snare the mob and kite it, you can basically set it and forget it, allowing you more control over more mobs without the worry of root breaking. And this allows you to use your pet.

Root rotting is a great tool in confined spaces, but given an open environment, kiting trumps.

Comment

Originally posted by xirtket View Post
            I'm going to disagree here, I've tried the root/rot method vs kiting, and I have to say, kiting I'm able to obliterate my root rot amount of aa I can get during a lesson burn.

unless you're using pestilant paralysis, your root duration isn't nearly as reliable, whereas if you snare the mob and kite it, you can basically set it and forget it, allowing you more control over more mobs without the worry of root breaking. And this allows you to use your pet.

Root rotting is a great tool in confined spaces, but given an open environment, kiting trumps.
            Kiting will give better EXP, but I certainly wouldn't say obliterate. Alternating PP with root can give very good EXP if you do it right. Nothing says you can't do a little bit of both too :P

Comment

Sounds like you've found what works for you but its an unfair assessment of the true situation. The difference between the 2 really isn't that large. I haven't run the numbers lately but at 95 I ran the numbers a lot. kiting has about a 15% advantage. I don't call that "obliterating" but some folks as of late have had some odd definitions of terms lately.
              Solithan

Comment

Speaking of my own experiences. Maybe there's something I'm not doing right with root rotting that makes it less effective for me. I've always opted for kiting, getting to use your pet is a huge bonus, it's like a free dot.

Comment

I do a fair amount of both and I get a lot more exp by kiting (maybe 30% to 40% more). I do a lot of root rotting in Evantil because it's easy and I like easy. If I want to maximize my exp, I certainly kite.

To each their own.

Comment

Speaking of my own experiences. Maybe there's something I'm not doing right with root rotting that makes it less effective for me. I've always opted for kiting, getting to use your pet is a huge bonus, it's like a free dot.
                    Hey Xirt

How many mobs do you root rot at a time vs. kite at a time?

I have done both and while I do agree kiting is better for XP, root rotting has the advantage of being a little more casual and less button intensive.

Comment

myself I do a little of each. ie root rot/kite/pet tank. It all comes down to what I got going on in rl and the area/type of mobs I am fighting. But I always have my pet up in case something goes wrong and i need it to deal with a mob for a sec.

Comment

Originally posted by mrya View Post
                        Hey Xirt

How many mobs do you root rot at a time vs. kite at a time?

I have done both and while I do agree kiting is better for XP, root rotting has the advantage of being a little more casual and less button intensive.
                        when I kite, I usually only do it for lesson burns in CoB, I typically have anywhere from 1-7 mobs on my ext. target window, I generally use 4 dots+ pet to down each mob, my personal best in 30 mins was 61 aa, on average I get 55 ( not double xp weekends)

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the quick response. So, I've tried kiting and root rotting now.. Can you guys explain how you kite 5 mobs at a time... most of my dots pop off in 30 seconds or so.. thats not much time to move and dot up multiple mobs.. not to mention adds that run full speed at you from lack of an instant snare.. im 88 with a little over 1k aas. i have most of the important ones for my level.. is it just my dot power for the level or am i just using the wrong snare...?
                          Last edited by Nethrix; 04-04-2013, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nethrix View Post
                            Thanks to everyone for the quick response. So, I've tried kiting and root rotting now.. Can you guys explain how you kite 5 mobs at a time... most of my dots pop off in 30 seconds or so.. thats not much time to move and dot up multiple mobs.. not to mention adds that run full speed at you from lack of an instant snare.. im 88 with a little over 1k aas. i have most of the important ones for my level.. is it just my dot power for the level or am i just using the wrong snare...?
                            Train lingering death, it increases dot durations, your 30 second dots will become over 1 minute dots, after that, if you plan on kiting a lot, max out encroaching darkness aa lines, then anything dot related/dps related, the more aa you put into your dots the more dps you do=the more xp you can get by killing faster/more efficiently. Pet dps aa's help as well, and summon companion incase he draws agro while you're kiting, use that to wipe his aggro and he's all set to attack again.

As for instant snare( I wish we had this), if you're kiting the mobs, pull them with snare, then dot, if they resist snare, run a bit, then recast.
                            Last edited by xirtket; 04-04-2013, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Kiting never use your aa snare if you can help it. Use the older spell snare that lasts 2 minutes on the description (lvl 74 or around there....cant remember now). Throw on some of your best nonswift dots (like 6 or 7 for starters and more if you aren't killing them with that amount), maximize your dps so aa's to boost crit%, dmg per crit, extension of dots and get the best foci for fire/magic/poison/corruption/disease and your best extend detrimental foci too. To boost it further run tribute for faster cast times and efficiency of your dots, get the type 3 augs to boost your dps as well.

There are a lot of things you can do to help improve your kill rate but these things will significantly help your dps. Sorry if someone or the OP stated this crap already.

Comment

Working...
                              X