Root Rotting - 100 thru ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Rotting - 100 thru ??

I've always sucked at kiting; it's just a fact. I never really get enough time to practice it. On top of that, I just recently returned after about 3 years of being away (family, work, college...). I think I dinged 101 as soon as it became available in 2014 and then turned strictly to AA until I stopped playing in mid 2015. Now that I'm back, I'm playing F2P and working my way up to level 105 for now.

I went spent most of my time from 101-102 either in Neriak 4th Gate doing the competing missions of killing different Dark Elf factions and in Beasts Domain. Once I hit 102, everything went Light Blue and it took me about 8 kills to get 1% with LotD!! That definitely wasn't going to work, even as casual as I am!

I started hunting around here in Necrotalk and other sites and wasn't having much luck finding new areas for a Root Rotter like me.

Tried Shards Landing; it was okay, but was still slow..
    Tried Evantil - Nothing was snareable or rootable (well, snakes, but they just weren't doing it for me).
    Tried Katta Deluge - Again, nothing snareable (sooooo much wish is was like old Katta, but with better XP, ha ha!).
    Found myself in the Frontier Mountains this AM, but there were two XP groups already going. I just took a left and started following the mountain wall. I tried one of the Grove Guardians (/con was White) and it gave me over a full 1% without LotD, so I decided I'd stay. Also pulled a /con Yellow Frontier Starhowler - 7% XP with LotD at my level of 102!! Only caveat was that it took two rounds of Encroaching Darkness AA and Persistent Paralysis AA to take him down. I'm going to have to start working on my spell order and which mobs to look for, but this looks like a good place for a Root Rotter like me!

Last edited by Drazzminius; 02-11-2019, 11:16 AM.
    Semper Fi,
    ---Drazz
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merge

Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

So I've been hanging out in the Frontier Mountains killing trees and these seem to be the safest bet for a Root Rotter. They don't summon and they aren't social (except for the named Corrupted Guardian of the Grove). At 103, I'm still getting a little over 1% per kill with LotD. I plan to be here until I hit 105, then see what's in store.

Semper Fi,
    ---Drazz
    Mikaal Drazzminius

Necrotalk Admin

Comment

The trees in FM worked ok for me around 104-105. After 105, it really seemed to slow down.
      Sinster Corpsecaller - 103 necromancer of Luclin-Stromm

Comment

So glad you started this thread! I've just come back after several years, and was running into exactly the same issue. (Level cap was 100 when I left, heh.) Beast's Domain had given me ALL the aa's at the time. If I find a better hunting ground, I'll be sure to post. Wish I had something helpful to add.

Comment

Welcome back, Direwolve! I'm currently at 105 and still in FM, but I've got 90% going towards AA -- I went ahead and went All Access for 3 months in order to get my Tradeskill AAs to max out my Artisan's Prize and am still having fun here. There are several places to solo root rot in this zone and at my current level, I'm getting about 2.75AA per tree (plus a little towards 106...).

Good luck, happy hunting and again, welcome back!
          Semper Fi,
          ---Drazz
          Mikaal Drazzminius

Necrotalk Admin

Comment

Just curious if you've tried pet tanking the Corrupted Grove Guardian. It's sooo tempting...

Comment

Nope, haven't tried.

Let me know how it goes, LOL!
              Semper Fi,
              ---Drazz
              Mikaal Drazzminius

Necrotalk Admin

Comment

Don't have the DPS yet. Got him down to 70% before merc let my pet die. I just couldn't burn him down fast enough at all. So many hp... Ah well...About to max out Lingering Death, then 150 aa's for an extra spell gem, then I'll max out aa spell foci...we'll see. I'll get him eventually. If a monk can do it...lol.

A couple thousand aa's later, and I could only get him to 50% before the pet died. Admittedly, my merc only has like 12 aa's, and no gear at all. But she was at 70% mana when the pet died. Pet, too, was geared in manaforged mage gear, because I had like 40 sets packed in my house from 5 years ago, lol. Ah, well.

4/17/2019 Finally killed him on my own at level 109, with some gear upgrades. And learned to stand away from him so as not to distract my healer merc by catching his AoE's, lol. Probably could've done it sooner without that derp. Just a very very long fight.
                Last edited by direwolve; 04-17-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

There's a nice spot just south of Chardok in Skyfire, in the SE portion of the area just north of the narrow passage. Loc +4967, -4160 where you can pull Sarnaks singly all you want. Getting 1-3 aa's per kill. Dark Blue and White /cons at 106. Very occasionally the casters will dispel root, but i've never had it happen before PP had refreshed. Very high hp's, and a little mana intensive, but that hasn't created a problem for me. Slightly better drops, with conflagrant diamonds, black powder pouches, natural spices, cloth bolts, medicinal herbs, and steel ingots dropping, in addition to diamonds and blue diamonds. Not as fast, and not really any more efficient than the trees, but it's something else.

https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1959023

Comment

Working...
                  X