This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Zone Hunting Guide

Have any strategies or assistance to offer for people hunting in the new Hot Zones? Post your strategies here!

Current Hot Zones for this level range can be found in this Master Reference:
    Last edited by scrat; 12-21-2009, 03:48 AM. Reason: Updated
    Semper Fi,
    ---Drazz
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merge

Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

PoS... you can kite the frogs near the zone in. when kiting stay away from the guys by the tunnel entrance they will agro. facing the cave entrance you can kite along the zone wall to your left. anything is fair game but animals will assist animals. I would stick to frogs.
    Grand Occultist Ecol Lye

80 Necromancer dealin' on The Seventh Hammer
    und keine eier...

Comment

Ok, Blackfeather Roost.

Zone in.

As a young necro I stayed on the first level and kept to the animals that wander. Snakes, Pumas, Bears, they all go down easy but be very careful of the Cunning Puma, Healthy Puma and the Injured Snake, they have 3/4 times more HP than the regular mobs, they have the most chance of dropping loot though.

Only the Puma's will aggro if you get too close, so try to stay mid section and you'll avoid the most, but with regards to kiting nothing assists and only puma's are hostile so its quite nice and free to kite.

When you're quite confident in this zone and you've found your bearing maybe try the bear cave also on the first level. Now, the bear cave is slightly harder to kite because there is less room and more things to think about:

1. Bears won't assists bears, so go ahead and kite as much as you want.
      2. SPIDERS, annoying as hell. Spiders will attack you, they are hostile, they will also attack the bear you are kiting around so remember this; if the spider gets the last hit on the bear you're kiting you'll get NO xp and NO loot.
      3. Any specials mob are called "Hungry", i.e A Hungry Spider and A Hungry Bear, both drop better loots and both have 5 times more hp than you're average bear.

Progressing though Blackfeather Roost

To get to the next level you have to make friends with the Griffon that is perched at the edge of the first level, you'll know what I mean if you've done the first part of my write up. To make friends with this Griffon all you have to do is accept the quest from the NPC at the side of him and complete it. All you have to do is collect 4 item that drop from various mobs on the first level, do it, do the combine and give the pie to the Griffon. Well done, you have access to the second level but forget it, the second level sucks for a necro.

Go back to the same quest giver NPC again and get the quest for the 3rd level, it's more of the same; collect 4 items from mobs, combine, give pie, gain access.

Third level: Its good, but be careful because everything is hostile. The harpies are good to kite and there is a hell of a lot of more on this level for kiting than the second level. Partrolling harpies are the easiest, a noble harpie is a bit harder, neither resist spells very much, only the noble has more HP, I like to keep around the zone in here, its up to you what you do and how confident you are. Watch out for the Griffons, they assist Harpies and have a hell of a lot of HP, can be kited easy though.

Progressing further, level 64/65.

Go to the next level up, do this by making friends with the Griffon again.

More Harpies. Just the same Harpie from the level before but with a bit more HP. Kite, kite, kite, beware of Griffons because they are hard and there is a caster version of Griffon too which has a wolf pet that isn't hard but nibbles and is very annoying and can interrupt casting. Not many resists on this level just be careful of aggroing too many. The last level of the zone isn't good for necro's, its just for the quests really! The loots get progressively better as you progress so have fun fellow Neccies.

Fin.
      Draj - MiniDps

Comment

Newbie Necro

On the Mayong 51/50 server I was having difficulty with a bard I made made....I hate bards btw, so I rerolled and picked a necro for the first time in my EQ life. I went to Roost to start because while I had the bard there I noticed mobs die wicked fast if you do it right.

I loaded up 4 of the most powerful dots a duration lifetap and the pet spell.

After only 2 hours of kiting I hit lvl 59, another hour after that I was lvl 61. Its so much fun being a necro, but now I gotta go farm pp for spells and gear.

Pretty much follow the posted guide above my post and youll do right no matter what you try, its too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg View Post
          On the Mayong 51/50 server I was having difficulty with a bard I made made....I hate bards btw, so I rerolled and picked a necro for the first time in my EQ life. I went to Roost to start because while I had the bard there I noticed mobs die wicked fast if you do it right.

I loaded up 4 of the most powerful dots a duration lifetap and the pet spell.

After only 2 hours of kiting I hit lvl 59, another hour after that I was lvl 61. Its so much fun being a necro, but now I gotta go farm pp for spells and gear.

Pretty much follow the posted guide above my post and youll do right no matter what you try, its too easy.
          nice, very nice

Comment

Just an update....now that I hit 65 today I was in WoS with a group that was farming runes and I must say that if you want to add decent DPS to your group, along with your dots and lvl 63 necro pet. You must have a Delightful Orb of Forgotten Magic....it has a 350 DD proc that goes off quite often. Just some tidbits for the others out there that are struggling like I am.

Comment

Working...
            X