Veksar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT:

Bah, I clicked and replied to the wrong thread.

Is it Friday yet?
    Last edited by winchester20; 07-25-2007, 02:04 AM.
    Intropy Coldheart and Maethros Wildheart, Officer of Spiritwind Avengers of Quellious

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons......for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Love at 59

I know some old-school players are gonna be irate at this, but...

Between the new aaxp rules and the reordering of AAs, it is now possible to buy Dire Charm at 59 without buying anything else. That's what I did.

Grab some pet gear (actually, I keep a Tolapumj robe on me for this), and some nice cheap baz items (I also keep a few things that cost under 1k for this, like Felmight Gorget), and head to Veksar.

Check the first few areas for a crusader, DC it, clear anything else that aggroes, buff it, hand it the gear, and go to town at level 59! Your best friend for this is gonna be the undead slow. I also use undead nukes and fire dots to move things along.

Once you're done, go someplace safe, load dispell and invis, dispell your pet, invis to break DC, then slow your pet while it beats on you and nuke it down with undead nukes. Loot the gear you gave it to keep for the next pet, log, come back later, and do it all again!

At level 60, I have little trouble taking down anything in the zone with this pet except the highest level mobs (golems and hands are a little more trouble, but I just dot them and support my pet). I haven't challenged Remains yet tho. I still stick to killing mostly dark blue and light blue mobs, though, because they just die faster.

Comment

Prior to getting PoP era pets (61 and 65 level spells iirc), your DC might be the toughest pet you can use. Once you get the PoP pets, though, the level differences start to really show. There were some offensive and defensive parses showing that against a level 60 mob the pop pets (which would be level 60+ mobs) stands up better than the level 46 charmed mob. So that's one issue.

The other is FD. It's really hard for me to unlearn my instinct to Feign (and is that something I want to unlearn?). So, I used to unmem the spell.. which didn't seem wise.. to keep me from breaking the charm.

Hey no lie Dire Charm in general is very powerfull.. why do you think they never upgraded it? And I glad you are enjoying it.

The issue for me is this. You are only really seeing any benefit for a really narrow range of levels. Once you have perhaps your PoP pets (and certainly you first Omens of War pet at 67), there is no situation I can think of you would ever chose a Dire over it (nor anything to Dire.. they stopped putting level 46 placeholder mobs in zones after PoP).

I note people discussing the Veksar map in this thread, but no link. It's not mine, I just hosted a copy but here you go: http://www.obsessionmatrix.com/veksar_smoosh.jpg

Felicite Belbold`Oloth * My Kitchen * Gift of Darkness * Firiona Vie
        Cachet Belbold`Oloth * Aumnyder Boytoy * Retired 01/31/2006

Comment

I can appreciate your point, but I carry a full set of pet gear that I would not hand a summoned pet just for this occasion, including Tolapumj Robe (36% haste), full set of elaborate defiant (except chest for robe), Felmight Gorget (SoF plate class neck), Felmight Fetish (SoF plate range item), and Stonewall Pauldrons (SoF plate shoulders), among other things, almost all costing me a few hundred plat each in bazaar. The only things I MIGHT go looking for is a summoned belt and weapons, but I can just as easily give him the Armistice Girdle and Defiant weapons I hold for him for the sake of the AC, stats, and hp they give him.

I carry these around and give them to my DC Veksar pets because I can get them back, easily, even at level 60... but they make him a mean tank. I am yet to run into a situation in there he hasn't been able to tank us out of with my support and no feign, especially with me wearing Palladium jewelry, and the level 65 Dwerium jewelry and set of SoF gear my chanter has coming soon! =D

I know, higher level mobs/pets hit more often, which is a big deal, but I'm not excited about giving a summoned pet a 36% haste item... I don't have that kind of plat. Because my DC cursader HTs and swings so fast that aggro is never an issue, regardless of me healing him, or slowing, or dotting, or whatever, and I'm usually able to push a slow through anyways if I get aggro, so I just offtank it till my pet can get it off me.

It's true... once I hit 65... maybe 70... then DC just won't be of much use to me, but right now it's wonderful, and I'm glad to spend my first 9 AAs to make 59-65+ fly by.

It's a personal call, I know... but man, am I havin fun!

Comment

Muzzle of Mowcha is +10 accuracy and 20% (and something else I forget).

Can usually be had in the baz for about 20-50pp depending on your server's mage count.

Well worth it, and if you're doing it right, you'll make that back in your first 10 mobs or less.

The main reason I would advise against your strategy is that pet tanking as a leveling style runs out very quickly.

Better to spend those levels between 60 and 65 really fine-tuning your aggro kiting strategy, so that 65-80 "fly by".

Also, IF you like the charm strategy, you should research swarm kiting as an alternate to your method, which is actually MUCH faster exp, but also a bit more risky. Just make sure you buy the FD aa next and maybe the insta-IVU aa, and then you can try your hand at that one in Veksar if charming undead floats your boat.

The idea is basically to charm one mob, and send it in to get beat to hell by a swarm of other mobs, and then when it is down to around 5% life, you IVU to break charm, and then charm a new pet and DoT the old one. The idea behind this method is that the mobs you're fighting have way more DPS in a large cluster than you would just single-target DoT/rotting. Additionally, once you get this method down, you can save a bundle of mana because your only mana cost is charm and 1 DoT per mob essentially.

Ultimately, though, fine-tuning your aggro-kiting skills will get you further.

sigpic Encephalitis
            im in ur head, swelln ur brainz

Comment

Really, the way I understand it, kiting "strategy" pretty much goes generic from 66 on up, since you start getting the same spells over and over again every 5 levels. Now, I kited pretty much the entire trip to 59 and am pretty sure of myself so far in that vein, and I know pet tanking only goes so far in the face of mudflation, but this is pretty fun, and I'll be glad to use it till at least 65. After that, once Veksar stops being worthwhile (altho I might start using summoned pets before I quit Veksar), I'll probably go back to kiting.

Still havin fun tho. This guy really does eat right through a lot of mobs in here.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnypanic View Post
                but I can just as easily give him the Armistice Girdle and Defiant weapons I hold for him for the sake of the AC, stats, and hp they give him.

dang, I never thought about giving those to my pet. Good idea.
                ~Lylith Bloodrose~
                Level 80 Necromancer
                apprentice researcher, fisherman and pottery

Comment

Originally posted by jonnypanic View Post
                  Really, the way I understand it, kiting "strategy" pretty much goes generic from 66 on up, since you start getting the same spells over and over again every 5 levels. Now, I kited pretty much the entire trip to 59 and am pretty sure of myself so far in that vein, and I know pet tanking only goes so far in the face of mudflation, but this is pretty fun, and I'll be glad to use it till at least 65. After that, once Veksar stops being worthwhile (altho I might start using summoned pets before I quit Veksar), I'll probably go back to kiting.

Still havin fun tho. This guy really does eat right through a lot of mobs in here.
                  You'd still be better off swarm-kiting. Then you have 0 investment in any of your charmed pets, and you can rack up the aa's for when you outgrow charming altogether.

sigpic Encephalitis
                  im in ur head, swelln ur brainz

Comment

Veksar Solo at 51

I'm still debating how good this zone is at early 50's, but you can earn exp here rather easily even at low levels. I died FIVE times learning the hard way .
                    First off, when you enter the zone, the goblins there can be killed for exp, just pull to the gate at the base of the stairs and kite in a very tight circle or root/rot + pet tank. These are a PITA to kill easily though so I recomend going invis passed them and up the ramp. Note: At top of ramp be sure to switch from invis to invis vs undead.
                    There are two hallways up here with 2 mobs in one hallway and three in the other, they stand in the little alcoves and you really have to walk up and hug these guys to get aggro, walking in front of there alcoves doesn't aggro them (even when you have to inch closer because of the mushrooms on walls they don't aggro, but be cautious, if you happen to catch aggro an unexpected Harm Touch can ruin your day). These undead are much easier than the goblins and are good exp, but I suggest NOT charming them until you're higher level. Cajole Undead is unreliable at best, and while crusaders are ungodly pets its not worth the risk.
                    What I like to do is this:
                    Have Invoke Death pet up, Augment Death and Spirit Armor. Send pet onto mob, cast Hungry Earth on mob. Cast Shackle of Spirit, Bond of Death. Cast Pact of Shadow on pet, Cast Ignite Blood, refresh Hungry Earth. Back away and meditate, refreshing Bond of Death and Pact of Shadow at all times. The mobs do not run at low health, and you will not get adds fighting them in their alcoves. Hungry Earth is to keep them off of you, Shakle of Spirit and sitting down to meditate really pisses them off.
                    In the hallway with three mobs there is a passageway that leads to a room with FIVE mobs. Two on the left side, two to the right, one around the corner of the passageway. He'll probably Harm Touch you as you stick your head in, be prepared for roughly 550 damage, and draw him back to the hall and kill him the way I describe above.
                    Now carefully cross the room to the pile of debris ahead of you. Stand behind that and con the mobs at the righthand end of the room. Typically there's a Phantom, a Sentry, and a Noble hiding in the room behind them. The Phantoms are rough, but the Sentry should be light blue. Cast Hungry Earth on the Phantom and the Sentry will aggro you. Take your licks and make sure you get a Shackle of Spirit on the Phantom. Then Hungry Earth the Sentry, run back to passageway (Do not go too far towards the mobs at other end of room) and Shackle of Spirit the Sentry. Keep the Phantom rooted at all times and get an Ignite Blood on him if you can, if he breaks root let him chase you to passageway and park him there. After Phantom is slowed, dotted, and you're sure he's rooted, Life tap the Sentry a couple of times to kill him quickly (breaking this room is very mana intensive, you can bypass the whole room with invis vs undead, but what fun is that?). Once the Sentry drops send pet on Phantom heal him with Shadow Pact and Corpreal Empathy. Keep Ignite Blood on him and Drain Soul his arse. You want this guy dead quickly. Once he is dead you can kill the Noble that's hiding if you want, he is as tough as the Phantom, or just proceed with killing the remaining two mobs in room, typically a Crusader and a Sentry. Mimic what I describe above to kill these two. Passed these two there is a hallway where a Crusader like to hide, just be ready for that Harm Touch. I tend to eat it for my pet and then just tap it back. Pass here there is a room with two mobs, it is a long room and they are at either ends so if you're careful you can kill them seperately. This is really as far as I've gone. The reward for coming this far is Explorer Gamus. Alla's has him at lvl 54 but I've killed him twice and he is Dark Blue at 52. His belt and staff are nice items for us. Just keep in mind your Hungry Earth and Shackle of Spirit spells don't affect this guy (I always forget when switching between undead to live mobs). Use Ignite Blood and just tap tank him with your pet at your side, He does hit hard and fast so you may need to FD and let pet take a beating if you have a hard time getting a Drain Soul off. After he drops, sit with Invis Vs Undead, recoup, and run back to top of the ramp and work your way back, rinse and repeat. This seems to be good exp, but with my five deaths discovering these methods it's hard to remain positive . I hope this is helpful!

Explorer Gamus:
                    http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=21673

EDIT:
                    I just wanted to add I did this self buffed with no pet toys. I like to keep Arch Shielding, Spirit Armor, Steel Skin, and the Gelaqua familiar on myself and Augment Death + Spirit Armor on Bonehead.
                    EDIT AGAIN:
                    Also, the Belt than Gamus drops is fairly common, but its lore. While a good belt to wear, have a different one with you to fill the slot if you plan to kill this guy much, they sell for 475pp to merchants!
                    Last edited by Centinull; 09-28-2008, 01:13 PM.
                    "All that is gold, does not glitter."

Comment

Explorer Gamus' belt & staff are excellent tribute as well. I would bind in Veksar at the top of the ramp to the undead area, kill my fill for the night and then camp. Next day I would "return home" at login, turn in tribute/sell/bank, and gate back to my Veksar camp for another session.

There is also a weapon turn in quest for xp/faction/plat you could do. The quest giver is standing on the shore outside the zone in LoIO. Builds faction you need for the Iksar skullcap quest.
                      Last edited by Finnigan; 09-28-2008, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X