Cheapest way to get research to 200 or so? - Necrotalk.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest way to get research to 200 or so?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest way to get research to 200 or so?

I tried the Vellum Parchment solution (http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=035000000000), but it's EXPENSIVE!!

I spent about 5.5k to do 20 combines, which got my research from about 125-134.
    Anything that doesn't involve platinum bars or aqua regia --- those components are ridiculously expensive.
    I know research ain't cheap, but at this rate I'll never get up to 200+. The spells I need now are 230ish trivial.
    I only have about 11k left in the bank, although my mule makes a few k per day selling stuff I make with my GM brewer/baker alt. Still, it would take a while to accumulate the appropriate amount of plat...there must be a cheaper way (this way *is* easy though, since everything is vender-purchased in POK).

For those who have skilled up since the change was made (ie, no words or runes), what have you done to skill up?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lewcifuur; 01-03-2009, 03:13 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    Lewcifuur Deathcaller
    Dark Elf Necromancer of Innoruuk (Tunare/E'Ci)

Originally posted by Lewcifuur View Post
    I tried the Vellum Parchment solution (http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=035000000000), but it's EXPENSIVE!!

I spent about 5.5k to do 20 combines, which got my research from about 125-134.
    Anything that doesn't involve platinum bars or aqua regia --- those components are ridiculously expensive.
    I know research ain't cheap, but at this rate I'll never get up to 200+. The spells I need now are 230ish trivial.
    I only have about 11k left in the bank, although my mule makes a few k per day selling stuff I make with my GM brewer/baker alt. Still, it would take a while to accumulate the appropriate amount of plat...there must be a cheaper way (this way *is* easy though, since everything is vender-purchased in POK).

For those who have skilled up since the change was made (ie, no words or runes), what have you done to skill up?

Thanks in advance.
    Best way is set up a Buyer for Binding Powder and advertise once in awhile in General Chat and any other appropriate channels your server may have. The other way I've been skilling up is farming the parchments in different zones. CoD seems to have a nice variety dropping for me although Im not sure what the trivial is on the stuff cause I usually collect for 3-4 months and then do a run. I usually farm all the material (Auqua Regia and variouse other sub combines due to the high merchant cost, as this will be another way to cut costs but increases time.) If your in a guild ask your guildies to collect the binding powder also, the stuff goes to "rot" 90% of the time in any PUG im in and sure its probally the same on most servers as it sells pretty low to merchant.
    Mindlezz
    Level 68 Necro on Theris-Thule err...Prexus
    Grimwar
    Level 75 BST on Theris-Thule err...Prexus

Comment

Ok, I'm only 136 research, but figured I could do the enchanted spell parchment (trivial: 232) for a while.
      http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_...r=035000000000
      I really hate farming, but I noticed that the binding powders drop in SSRA, Droga, The Deep, among other places.
      I think I've seen them drop before, but they seem kind of random and somewhat rare.
      I'll need a couple hundred at least, to get the skill-up to the 232 level.
      Other than that, it should be pretty painless to get up to 232, as I just successfully combined the spell you need to do this.

I'll try the Buyer in Bazaar for Binding Powder, as I checked and did not see any for sale. Some "ornate binding powders" and other similar named items were available, but not the correct one.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
      In any case, thanks for the help!
      Lewcifuur Deathcaller

Comment

woa...I just went into bazaar and advertized "WTB: Binding Powders" -- 5pp ea/obo" and had someone send me a tell within about 10 seconds.
        I ended up buying 62 for 310pp, so I guess it's not too bad. Hopefully I get at least 35-40 skillups from that.

Update: Those 62 combines got me 19 skill ups.
        Last edited by Lewcifuur; 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM.
        Lewcifuur Deathcaller

Comment

Some "ornate binding powders" and other similar named items were available, but not the correct one.
          Ornates can be used for the last few skill-ups or for maxing out your trophy. I used about 400 Ornates that got dumped onto my buyer for 25pp each to finish up my trophy and sold the rest back to people on my Trader for 100pp each.

All in all, Research with binding powders was probably my least painful Tradeskill to max (and the only that I've max'd the trophy as well!).
          Semper Fi,
          ---Drazz
          Mikaal Drazzminius
          Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merge

Necrotalk Admin
          EQ Traders Super Moderator
          EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

Do people even use /buyer?
            Everytime I go to the blue hall, it's a barren wasteland.

I will definiately advertise in chat channels though.
            Lewcifuur Deathcaller

Comment

Do people even use /buyer?
              Everytime I go to the blue hall, it's a barren wasteland.
              On Quellious, there are quite a few buyers up at any given time, but no where near as many as there are Traders. I've used my Trader Mule as a Buyer Mule a few times (namely while skilling up Jewelcraft and Research!), but also for some other items. Give it a try overnight a couple times to see how it goes (people in far off lands like me frequent the Bazaar when most people are still asleep).

Semper Fi,
              ---Drazz
              Mikaal Drazzminius
              Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merge

Necrotalk Admin
              EQ Traders Super Moderator
              EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

Working...
              X