X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to DoDH researching

Part 1: Example Spell: Night Fire

Right, so, there's tons of information floating around already about DoDH and its revivification of researching. In fact, there's a thread below this one linking a good, general guide by EQTraders. But, if you're like me, it's still all a little confusing, since now you have to think, "Ok, I want this spell, so it's a dot, that means I need this thickener...was it additive? Ah shoot, I need to double check."

And, since I haven't contributed much to Necrotalk, I'm gonna write up how to research each and every spell from 61+ for necros. Whee, just a little bit of insane! However, I'm going to only showcase Night Fire this moment, since I'm working it extensively right now. Everything in this guide focuses on necros, and will only describe components needed for necro spells. I won't be talking about Eci's Ink Additive, for example.

Final Combine
    Let's start with the end, shall we? This is the final combine you'll be doing for Night Fire:

Runic Parchment + Quill of the Arch Lich + Extending Thickener + Ro's Ink Additive + Ink of Pain

Ooh, isn't it so simple? It's so clear, and only five parts! Oh, wait, there's about a dozen subcombines for each part...then a half dozen sub-subcombines...right...onward and forward then!

Basic Components
    These are components used in so many parts of the subcomines, that you'll need a stack or two on hand to progressive on a spell. I'll list conveinent vendors that sell them after the item and any subcomines that might be need. These items are used in every spell made or used for a specific teir of spells (Parchment solutions, for example.). These are above and beyond the Spell Research Kit, sold by the merchant robot in Corathus Creep, which you'll also need.

Gnomish Heating Source (Abbrieviated as GHS)
    Merchant robot in Corathus Creep

Vial of Pure Water - Empty Vial(5) + Water Flask(4) + GHS
    All parts are vendored in PoK. One of the smith vendors in the same building as the dark elf general supplier sells empty vials.
    Note: Above recipe yields 5 x Vial of Pure Water

Quill of the Arch Lich - A Quill + Arcane Treatment + Necrotic Treatment
    Merchant robot in Corathus Creep sells all components

Fine Salt - Rock Salt
    Merchant robot

Saltpeter
    Dropped in PoI

Crystallized Sulfur
    Dropped all over the place.

Celestial Cleanser - Celestial Solvent + Vial of Pure Water(3) + Empty Vial
    The Solvent is sold by the dark elf general supplier in PoK, as well as other places.
    Note: This recipe also returns several Empty Vials

Aqua Regia - Muriatic Acid + Aqua Fortis
    Subcombines for Aqua Regia:
    Muriatic Acid - Fine Salt + Oil of Vitrol + GHS
    Aqua Fortis - Saltpeter + Oil of Vitrol
    Oil of Vitrol - Saltpeter + Crystallized Sulfur + Vial of Pure Water + GHS

Note for Aqua Regia: Phew, confused yet? Aqua Regia is made from Muriatic Acid and Aqua Fortis. To make both, you'll need Oil of Vitrol. To get one stack of Aqua Regia, you'll need to make two stacks of Oil of Vitrol. Where to get all components are already discussed above.

Those Feathered Pens
    "But, Dranul, you already mentioned Quill of the Arch Lich in the above section?" you may ask yourself (This isn't my beautiful wife...sorry, song stuck in my head.). Well, while the Arch Lich version is used for most of our spells, the exceptions are Shield of the Arcane, Shield of Maelin, Force Shield, and Greater Immobolize. I'll list the Quills needed here:

Shield of the Arcane/Maelin and Force Shield:
    Quill of the Arcane - A Quill + Arcane Treatment(2)

Greater Immobolize:
    Quill of the Lord Protector - A Quill + Kinght's Treatment + Holy Treatment(Find the treatment that resembles what a paladin does/is.)

Note for Quills in general: The Quill is based on which classes can use the spell; the lowest level class for the spell dictates the Quill. If there's two or more classes that tie for the lowest, you base it on the lowest in this order: INT caster, WIS caster, hybrid. If you have two or more INT casters tied for lowest level, you use Quill of the Arcane. Two or more WIS casters, Quill of the Divine (Use 2 Divine Treatments). Two or more hybrids, Quill of the Knight (2 Knight's Treatments).

Inks!
    The Ink of your spell will determine exactly what your spell does; in our case, as necros, deal damage, summon a pet, or...um...that's all we do for 61+, it seems.
    Since our example spell is a spell that does damage, we'll want:

Ink of Pain - Hematite Powder + Chromium Powder + Vial of Pure Water
    Both powders are sold by merchant robot. See above for Water.
    Note: Ink of Pain is also used for spells that prevent or absorb damage, so you'll see this again for Force Shield.
    Note: Both Powders are stackable up to 100; make sure you adjust the stack size when you're buying it from the vendor, because 100 is probably gonna last you longer than you'll ever need.

Thickener
    Where as the Ink determines what your spell does, the Thickener determines *how* your spell does it; that is, for us, direct damage or damage over time, or animating an undead pet instead of summoning something else.
    Since Night Fire is a dot, you'll want:

Extending Thickener - Amber(2) + Yarrow
    Amber is sold by the JC vendors in PoK, Yarrow is sold by a alchemy vendor.
    Note: Above recipe yields 40. All Thickeners are stackable up to 100

Additives
    The additive is based on what resist check your spells is on. For Fire, you want Ro's. Poison, Saryrn. Disease, Bert. Magic, Luclin. All additives are vendor sold by the robot in Corathus Creep.
    Because Night Fire is a Fire spell, you'll want Ro's Ink Additive.

Cleaning Parchments
    The parchment you'll be getting your hands on to make Night Fire is actually called "smudged runic parchment". Well, we can't be making spells with smudges! We'll need to clean that up with Celestial Cleanser and a Runic Parchment Solution, and Aqua Regia to make that Solution. The combine looks like this:

Smudged Runic Parchment + Celestial Cleanser + Runic Parchment Solution

Runic Parchment Solution - Platinum Bar + Gold Bar + Star Ruby + Vial of Pure Water(2) + Aqua Regia + Muriatic Acid + GHS
    So, in order to make a stack of Solution, you'll need to make three stacks of Oil of Vitrol, allowing to make a stack of Aqua Regia and another stack of Muriatic Acid. The bars and ruby are both vendor sold, expensively, by JC vendors in PoK.

Just in case you need to look at Aqua Regia again:
    Subcombines for Aqua Regia:
    Muriatic Acid - Fine Salt + Oil of Vitrol + GHS
    Aqua Fortis - Saltpeter + Oil of Vitrol
    Oil of Vitrol - Saltpeter + Crystallized Sulfur + Vial of Pure Water + GHS

Finally, the Final Combine
    Night Fire - Runic Parchment + Quill of the Arch Lich + Ink of Pain + Ro's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener

An example of how just changing one component will affect the spell:

Blood of Thule - Runic Parchment + Quill of the Arch Lich + Ink of Pain + Extending Thichekner + Saryrn's Ink Additive

Changing the Additive from Ro's to Saryrn's produces a level 65, poison based dot or Blood of Thule. This last sentence brings me to the final section of Part 1...

A Helpful Thought
    I've found that, once you fully understand how this process works, that breaking down exactly what the spell is very helpful. To continue using our example, Night Fire; a level 65 Necromancer, Fire based, damage over time spell. This method let's you catch on to what kind of Quill, Parchment, Additive, Ink, and Thickener you'll need, right off the bat. Breaking down any spell you want like this will help immensely as you're trying to sort out the components.

Any questions that I can clear up?

Part 2: List of Final Combines
    Warning: These recipes are my best guesses. I will not 100% guarantee them until either I or someone else can confirm them. I have included possible recipes for LDoN spells, but I doubt they are researchable.
    Unless otherwise stated, assume Quill of the Arch Lich is used.

Level 65 (Runic Parchments)
    Blood of Thule - Ink of Pain + Saryrn's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Child of Bertoxxulous - Ink of the Companion + Saryrn's Ink Additive + Conjuring Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Destroy Undead - Quill of the Archon + Ink of Pain + Luclin's Ink Additive + Arcane Thickener + Fine Vellum Parchment
    Confirmed by EQtraders

Night Fire - Ink of Pain + Ro's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Confirmed by various sources

Night Stalker - Ink of Pain + Ink of Tunare + Bertoxxulous's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Night's Beckon - Ink of Pain + Ink of Tunare + Luclin's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Word of Terris - Ink of Ayonae Ro + Luclin's Ink Additive + Debilitating Thickener
    Confirmed by Xelgadis

Level 64 (Fine Vellum Parchments)
    Seduction of Saryrn - Ink of Prexus + Ink of Pain + Ink of the Eagle + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Ameliorating Thickener
    Confirmed to be EQTraders

Shield of Maelin - Quill of the Arcane + Ink of Tunare + Ink of Druzzil Ro + Ink of the Tribunal + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Invigorating Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Touch of Death - Ink of Tunare + Ink of Saryrn + Ink of Bertoxxulous + Ink of Terris + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Ameliorating Thickener
    Confirmed by Xelgadis

Level 63 (Vellum Parchments)
    Death's Silence - Ink of Tranquility + Ink of Forgetfulness + Luclin's Ink Additive + Debilitating Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Embracing Darkness - Ink of the Listless + Ink of Pain + Luclin's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Note: Confirmed by EQTraders Forums.

Force Shield - Quill of the Arcane + Ink of Pain + Ink of Prexus + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Invigorating Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Greater Immobolize - Quill of the Lord Protector + Ink of the Listless + Luclin's Ink Additive + Debilitating Thickener + Parchment
    Confirmed by EQTraders.

Saryrn's Companion + Ink of the Companion + Saryrn's Ink Additive + Conjuring Thickener + Bone Chips
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Level 62 (Fine Parchments)
    Petrifying Earth - Ink of the Listless + Luclin's Ink Additive + Debilitating Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Rune of Death - Ink of Alacrity + Ink of the Tribunal + Ink of the Rhino + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Invigorating Thickener
    Confirmed by Schaeffer

Saryrn's Kiss - Ink of Pain + Ink of Tunare + Luclin's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Confirmed by Ewasx

Level 61 (Parchments)
    Dark Plague - Ink of Pain + Ink of Bertoxxulous + Bertoxxulous's Ink Additive + Extending Thickener
    Confirmed by Schaeffer

Legacy of Zek - Ink of the Companion + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Conjuring Thickener + Bone Chips
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Neurotoxin - Ink of Pain + Saryrn's Ink Additive + Arcane Thickener
    Confirmed by Ewasx.

Shield of the Arcane - Ink of Tunare + Ink of the Tribunal + Ink of Druzzil Ro + Ink Additive of the Nameless + Invigorating Thickener
    Confirmed by EQTraders

Touch of Mujaki - Ink of Pain + Ink of Tunare + Luclin's Ink Additive + Consuming Thickener
    Confirmed by Schaeffer

Note for Drying Powder: As necros, we can ignore the Drying Powder mentioned by the in-game books. This component is used if you have a spell in Gates of Discord that upgrades a level 65 spell from Planes of Power; the only examples I know of are White Fire for Wizards and Breath of Trushar for Shamans, upgrading Strike of Solusek and Quiessence, respectively. If you ever need it, however, you obtain it by giving a Sample of Highland Sludge to the male barbarian alchemy vendor in Abysmal Sea, then combining the refined sample re gives you with a GHS in your Spell Research Kit.

Part 3: Master List of Components (See above for spell combines.)
    Special notes: All Thickener recipes yield 40 and all Thickeners are stackable to 100. Any recipe that uses Vial of Pure Water will most likely return Empty Vials, with the exception of Inks. Any recipe that uses Oil of Vitriol or Muriatic Acid will return Dirty Empty Vials. I have omitted the cleaning recipes for the parchments, as these are always <dirty parchment> + Clelestial Cleanser + <parchment solution>.

Aqua Fortis - Saltpeter + Oil of Vitriol

Arcane Thickener - Opal(2) + Elderberry

Celestial Cleanser - Celestial Solvent + Vial of Pure Water(3)
    Note: Yields 3

Extending Thickener - Amber(2) + Yarrow

Fine Salt - Rock Salt

Fine Parchment Solution - Fire Emerald + Gold Bar(2) + Aqua Regia + Vial of Pure Water(2) + GHS

Fine Vellum Parchment Solution - Platinum Bar + Fire Opal + Muraitic Acid + Aqua Regia + Vial of Pure Water(2) + GHS(2)

Highland Drying Powder - Sample of Distilled Highland Sludge + GHS
    Note: To get the Sample, either give a shaman friend that has done the Alchemy Freebie quest in Abysmal Sea a Sample of Highland Sludge or go to Abysmal Sea and give the Sludge to one of the Alchemy vendors, think it&#39;s the male barbarian.

Ink of Pain - Hematite Powder + Chrominum Powder + Vial of Pure Water

Muriatic Acid - Fine Salt + Oil of Vitroil + GHS

Oil of Vitriol - Crystallized Sulfur + Saltpeter + Vial of Pure Water + GHS

Parchment Solution - Fire Emerald + Aqua Regia + Vial of Pure Water + GHS

Quill of the Arch Lich - A Quill + Arcane Treatment + Necrotic Treatment

Runic Parchment Solution - Platinum Bar + Gold Bar + Star Ruby + Muriatic Acid + Aqua Regia + Vial of Pure Water(2) + GHS

Vellum Parchment Solution - Platinum Bar + Gold Bar(3) + Aqua Regia + Vial of Pure Water + GHS(3)

Vial of Pure Water - Water Flask(4) + Empty Vial(5) + GHS
    Note: Yields 5

Future plans for this guide are to really clean it up, give it an easier to follow flow, and to show the final combine for each 61+ necro spell. This may mean having to create a thread to explain what each component means and another for all the subcombines that each one has.

Edit 10/18/05 - Added in the bugged recipe for Night Stalker and Night&#39;s Beckon, and cleaned up a few typos.

Edit 10/10/05 - Just found out from Ngreth the House Ogre and SOE Dev at EQTC that the Imbue spells technically have a quest associated with them, and are thus not researchable. And I thought I&#39;d finally have my Imbue spells too.

Edit 10/6/05 - Added in tentative recipe for Unholy Bellow. Also, thanks to Schaeffer for confirming a number of recipes. And a few in the Master List of Components.

Edit 9/26/05 - Added in Ewasx&#39;s input.

Edit 9/23/05 - Fixed up some of the guesses. Was operating under the assumption that only one Ink was necessary. I&#39;m not sure how the Ink of the Nameless works, I&#39;ll have to look at it in game. Also added a sneak preview to Part 3; Part 3 will probably be the longest, and most technical part, just bare bones recipes for every component you&#39;ll need for researching necro spells.

Edit 9/21/05 - Had forgotten GHS in the Muriatc Acid combine.

Edit 9/20/05 - Put in best guesses for final combines for all 61+ necro spells, excluding the two new fears. Even if they are researchable, who cares?

Edit 9/20/05 - Split into Part 1 and 2, fixed up the example research of Night Fire a bit, and explained Inks and Thickeners in greater detail. A Helpful Thought added, as well as a note about ignoring Drying Powders. Hopefully gave smoother flow to the layout. Also, put in a section about Quills in general.

Edit 9/19/05- Added an example of how Additives work and how changing it will drastically affect the spell.

Aryse Edit 01/31/06 - Updated the Child of Bertoxxulous recipe after testing (now matches the EQTC recipe, it seems inconsistent with the usual forumlae)
    Deathspeaker Dranul Lovebunny
    70 Wraith of Reminiscence
    Mithaniel Marr...now Saryrn
    WARNING: The makers of Dranul Lovebunny cannot be held responsible for brains eaten during use.

You rock.

So.. dropped components:

the uncleaned parchment (different for each level of spells I think?)
    Saltpeter
    Crystallized Sulfur

and everything else can be bought between the PoK and Corathus Creep?

And, did I mention, thank you.

Felicite Belbold`Oloth * My Kitchen * Gift of Darkness * Firiona Vie
    Cachet Belbold`Oloth * Aumnyder Boytoy * Retired 01/31/2006

Comment

Woot, compliments&#33; Yep, those are the only three dropped components. The thread below this one has a link to EQTraders and that guide has a chart of each parchment and which spell level it produces (Going to put that into subsequent versions of this guide).

I forgot to mention the drop rate of parchments. This isn&#39;t first hand experience, but a guildie who camped Ruins of Illisan (Don&#39;t know where.) said they drop once in about every 20 kills or so. Sadly, he wasn&#39;t the one looting, so he doesn&#39;t know how much of each type dropped. I recommend vendor diving all over the place, before it&#39;s public knowledge what these parchments are for; already found about half a stack of 65 parchments vendor diving.
      WARNING: The makers of Dranul Lovebunny cannot be held responsible for brains eaten during use.

Comment

awesome info dranul&#33;
        It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames.

Comment

Just for conveniece purposes here&#39;s a list of how many of each item you&#39;ll need given no failures, to start with:

Dropped from Mobs:

6 Saltpeter
          5 Crystalized Sulfur
          1 Smudged Runic Parchment

Then Buy from Vendors:

11 Empty Vial
          8 Water Flask
          8 Gnomish Heating Source
          2 Amber
          3 Fine Salt
          1 Chromium Powder
          1 Platimun Bar
          1 Gold Bar
          1 Hematite Powder
          1 Celestial Solvent
          1 yarrow
          1 A Quill
          1 Arcane Treatment
          1 Necrotic Treatment

The stuff here is made from subcombines between the drops and the vendor bought stuff:

10 Vial of Pure water
          5 Oil of Vitrol
          3 Muriatic Acid
          2 Aqua Fortis
          2 Aqua Regia
          1 Runic Parchment Solution
          1 Runic Parchment
          1 Extending Thickener
          1 Ink of Pain
          1 Quill of the Arch Lich
          1 Ro&#39;s Ink Additive
          1 Celestial Cleanser

I&#39;m pretty sure I counted right, but if I missed something please correct it.

If electricity come from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Comment

Are the subcombines droppable? I defiantely want to be able to stuff this stuff on a storage toon somewhere.
            What I wear over my pink panties
            Lich Mistress of SZ

Comment

Yep, all combines, with the possible exception of a final combine on GoD spells (Curse you trivial of 351&#33, are droppable. All PoP spells are droppable too.

Comment

Updated, look any better?

Comment

Very nice&#33;
                  Thanks alot Dranul

Eyez
                  70 Wraith of Tunare
                  Crystalline Waters

Comment

or you could just go kill a kyv...

Rifting sucked, back for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebasiz@Sep 20 2005, 01:32 PM
                      or you could just go kill a kyv...
                      Quiet you&#33; Honestly, I&#39;ll probably get my hands on a Yiktu stone before I&#39;ll have the ability to safely research Night Fire, since the trivial for all 65 spells is 351; but, on the off chance I do get it, it means that I can stay out of the roll when one drops, giving other casters a better chance to get their spells, thus gearing up the guild faster.
                      Of course, I&#39;m starting to feel very much less guilty bidding on anything I want, since we did Ikkinz 1 for the first time and a mage bidded on and won the 40% magic dot focus ring. Seriously, wtf? Am I the only one in the world that thinks to himself, "Oh, another class will get much more benefit out of that item than me, and the guild as a whole will progress further because of it,"? I mean, we have rules in place that say items with +Attack can only be bid on by melee or hybrid, or FT items can only go to casters, but because Onyx Prayer Ring says ALL/ALL, someone that gets absolutely no benefit from the orgasm inducing focus can bid on it? Gah, I&#39;m just fuming in my head now.

But, back on subject, this guide is really meant for people that either A) Don&#39;t have the resources to do GoD or B ) Are insane and like doing tradeskills or C) Are just vaguely interested in how to go about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dranul
                        since we did Ikkinz 1 for the first time and a mage bidded on and won the 40% magic dot focus ring.  Seriously, wtf? (...) someone that gets absolutely no benefit (...)
                        Mages get a magic dot line. It&#39;s not as though he wasn&#39;t getting any use of the focus, so you can stop fretting. Admittedly, it&#39;s silly that he&#39;d bid on it for the focus alone... but maybe his other rings were just terrible. Not like stats on GoD gear don&#39;t put my own to shame, for example.

(Personally, though, I&#39;d have saved my DKP for a better item, were I the mage. Elemental Maelstrom is not all that powerful to begin with.)
                        Necromancer of 70 levels and 250AA
                        Winter's Legacy - Saryrn
                        Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc!
                        (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nirruden+Sep 20 2005, 01:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nirruden @ Sep 20 2005, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
                          Originally posted by Dranul@
                          since we did Ikkinz 1 for the first time and a mage bidded on and won the 40% magic dot focus ring.  Seriously, wtf? (...) someone that gets absolutely no benefit (...)
                          Mages get TWO direct damage lines, man... fire and (gasp) magic. It&#39;s not as though he wasn&#39;t getting any use of the focus, so you can stop fretting now. You&#39;re welcome. [/b]

Ah, my old friend, did I not mention that the focus is DOT ONLY? Yes, that&#39;s right, DAMAGE OVER TIME. In fact, I think I&#39;ll bold and underline if for you:

<!--QuoteBegin-Dranul

since we did Ikkinz 1 for the first time and a mage bidded on and won the 40% magic dot focus ring. Seriously, wtf? (...) someone that gets absolutely no benefit (...) [/quote]

Helpful? For your curiousity, I refrained from bidding on the 40% magic DD (That&#39;s DIRECT DAMAGE, in case you didn&#39;t know.) mantle that drops in Ikki 1 too, because I knew our mages and wizards wanted it badly. Why? Because I like to think I&#39;m a nice guy. So, please, don&#39;t try to make me look like an ass. I&#39;m only an ass when someone pisses me off. I may not know every spell a mage has, but I know they nuke with magic and fire.

Comment

Ah, my old friend, did I not mention that the focus is DOT ONLY?  Yes, that&#39;s right, DAMAGE OVER TIME.  In fact, I think I&#39;ll bold and underline if for you:
                            Thanks, but my ninja edits before your post caught that - I missed it on the first pass. Mages also get a magic DOT line - so he can (any time he likes) make use of the focus you&#39;re so steamed about.

Helpful?  For your curiousity, I refrained from bidding on the 40% magic DD (That&#39;s DIRECT DAMAGE, in case you didn&#39;t know.) mantle that drops in Ikki 1 too, because I knew our mages and wizards wanted it badly.  Why?  Because I like to think I&#39;m a nice guy.  (...) I may not know every spell a mage has, but I know they nuke with magic and fire.
                            ...and DOT with magic. Unlike the mage in question, you&#39;d have gotten more use of the magic-nuke focus (assuming lifetaps count), than any mage would out of the DOT focus. Nice guy or not, you shafted yourself on that one - we nuke with two lines, magic and poison, and I&#39;d have considered gutting my own mother for the magic-focusing version.
                            Necromancer of 70 levels and 250AA
                            Winter's Legacy - Saryrn
                            Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc!
                            (We gladly feast on those who would subdue us.)

Comment

Oh yes, I know mages get baby dots. Yes, I&#39;m sure that Wrath of the Elements will greater appreciate looking like it might, maybe, possibly do something.

Oh, I won&#39;t fault him for the stats, honestly, and that&#39;s what the got the ring for. Ring was better than most of my items, actually. And it&#39;s not like the ring won&#39;t drop again. What I&#39;m really ticked about is that no one ever stops and considers if they are gonna get the most out of an item when they bid. I may have shafted myself on the mantle, and I&#39;ll honestly bid low in FT items, but I just remember when a cleric got Radiant Feather and was very happy. I&#39;ll shaft myself if it means someone will do a happy dance, instead of my lifetaps doing an extra 300 damage (In comparison to Improved Damage V or Muram&#39;s Anger, that is.).

Comment

Working...
                              X