Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ Powersource FAQ

Powersource / Purity / Infused / Infusable FAQ

All class / visible armors and some weapons that have been created since The Burried Sea expansion (February 13, 2007) have the potential to have infused stats added to the armor. Armor that has been created since this time, including armors for lower level usage - also have this feature. Infused simply means you have a powersource in use, and Infusible means it can be infused with a powersource. Weapons that are infusable have pretty much been phased out.

Powersources are purchasable from faction vendors (Combine Empire Merchant faction) in Katta Castrum to player-crafted versions in the bazaar. For group powersources, they can be purchased from Trader Vallarines while raid powersources are purchased from Master Pokk using raid-currency called Phosphites. Phosphites are tradable, but unless you have both ally faction and specific raid wins they are useless to you.

Orum is an alternate currency obtained by completing various group tasks in katta - but it is tradable so you can purchase it from other players. If you purchase powersources from a katta merchant using orum - first you must have the appropriate faction requirement...and then they are non-stackable consuming a bag space per powersource. Player-crafted versions are 'sealed' in buyable form, stack, and you click them to create the actual powersource. There are sealed misty types, sealed translucent types, and RAID sealed pure energeian types. You can purchase player-made sealed pure energeian orbs, but unless you have the raid character flags (All of Solteris raids or any SoF & higher) you cannot right-click to transform them into usable powersources. You will get an emote that says you cannot unlock this powersource.

More on player-crafted versions...just because you can purchase a powersource does not mean you can use it. Raid powersources are tied to specific character flags based on minimum criteria for raid wins - so make sure you shop smart. However, for crafted group powersources...faction requirements do not apply. For players that choose to skip the factioning in TBS for whatever reason - you can use player crafted powersources.

They all come with finite "charge" and are drained per-second based on the amount of armors you have equiped that will utilize it. They only drain while you are In Combat, and stop draining when you reach Out Of Combat. However, even in use 24/7 a powersource lasts a good while though plenty players reserve their use for named or raids. Their cost is relatively cheap but scales upwards and you can expect to pay 2-4x the price for a stackable, player-crafted version. Depending on your play time, you can get a week of hardcore gaming or a couple months situational use per powersource before it is drained - and then you can sell it back to a orum vendor for about 1/4 cost.

Here is the official SoE blurb regarding their duration:
    Powersources weaken over time at a rate which depends on how many items are drawing power from the powersource. They can last a maximum 139 hours (only one item equipped) down to a minimum of 11 hours (10 items equipped).
    Gear that (currently) allow for infusable stats are limited to visible pieces.

There are a large variety of powersources available - the vast majority provide a directed stat boosts while reducing other stats dramatically. The more balanced overall the powersource, the less directed benefit. The best place to see which group powersource does what is found here - and remember these numbers are pre-toned down to a 50 purity level. So if you are running some 25-purity augs on your t5 gear - add 25% to those numbers. For raiders using Pure orbs, check out this link.

For the Groupers:

*Note* Misty/murky/transluscent versions all provide the same benefit - the difference is level requirement & how long the powersource lasts

For the Raiders:

There are really few things you need to remember regarding the powersource types...
    • Murky Energeian xxx orb have min level 50 Group tradeskilled
    • Foggy Energeian xxx orb have min level 60 Group tradeskilled
    • Misty Energeian xxx orb have min level 70 Group and/or amiable faction required to purchase in Katta from vendors for 15 orum
    • Translucent Energeian xxx orb are the highest grade Group with min level 75 and/or ally faction required to purchase in Katta from vendors for 20 orum
    • Pure Energeian xxx orb are RAID orbs.

Note: In order to use a raid orb, your character must have completed all 7 Solteris Raids, or have beaten pretty much any single current raid since. Once your character recieves the flag to use raid orbs, you may do so forever on without ever raiding again.

Powersources also add weapon procs and other various effects normally ignored by the necromancer. Most are very melee-centric.

Caution: Just as you can increase the positive mods of a powersource by increasing the purity of the item - so too does the negative benefits increase with higher purity values.

Purity
    Now that I mentioned purity...it is important regarding powersources. Purity is the percentage of powersource yield you will get i.e. if an item says 40 purity, it will gain 40% of the potential powersource provision; if an item says 90 purity, it will gain 90% of the potential powersource provision. Group armors (with a type-7 augmentation slot) all have a base of 50 purity or less. Raid armors all have a base of 75 purity. So right off the bat you can see that a raider will gain 25% more stats from the same powersource as a grouper - at no additional cost regarding powersource drain. You can mix & match purity on your items as the benefit is added on a per-item basis.

You can gain additional purity for your items via adding purity augments into your gear. Caution: Purity augments are considered a "luxury" item by SoE and are therefore not reusable. With the exception of precious few quested augments, your only option to remove purity augments from gear is to destroy them. These are widely available by purchasing with Orum in Katta, Chronobines in the Void or by looting purity augments in various zones within the Seeds of Destruction expansion starting at tier4 zones. Purity augments come in the ranges of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. This means the maximum purity per-item a grouper can get is 75, and the maximum purity per-item a raider can get is 100.

These augments are designed to fit in the following group augment slots:
    Slot-2, type-13 (Energeiac: Group)
    Slot-2, type-14 (Energeiac: Raid)

...so be sure you have available purity aug slots in your gear before you spend a lot of time & effort obtaining them.

And the purity augments themselves are:
    Augmentation Type: 13 (group only)
    Augmentation Type: 14 (raid only)
    Augmentation Type: 13, 14 (group, raid ) most recent versions

Again...these purchased & looted purity augs are single-use augmentations. There are no current means to remove them safely to put in another piece of gear. The EQ developers still hold to the belief that purity augments are a luxury item - hence the use & destroy sentiment. There are some quested purity augments that have removable options, but they are very few. The extreme majority are singular use & lose forever.

------------

Back to the powersources themselves...a very popular option is Translucent Energeian Light Orb as it provides positives to everything: HP, Mana - and it doesn't cut into resists or other stats. This powersource actually can provide the following at 100 purity as you can see from the previous link:

AC: 5
    STR: 10 DEX: 10 STA: 10 CHA: 10 Wis: 10 INT: 10 AGI: 10
    HP:56 MANA: 56 Endurance: 56
    SV FIRE: 14 SV DISEASE: 14 SV COLD: 14 SV MAGIC: 14 SV POISON: 14

So, group gear with a purity of 50 (my stuff) would get the following bonus applied to each piece of armor:
    AC: 2
    STR: 5 DEX: 5 STA: 5 CHA: 5 Wis: 5 INT: 5 AGI: 5
    HP: 28 MANA: 28 Endurance: 28
    SV FIRE: 7 SV DISEASE: 7 SV COLD: 7 SV MAGIC: 7 SV POISON: 7

So...powersources are not as awesome as the concept initially sounded, and they certainly have not scaled along with the mudflation of gear. Initially, powersources provided roughly a 10% increase to your gear stats. Now, it's more like 2-4% even with purity augs used.

However with the recent change of no-drain when out of combat, and tradeskilled sources - more and more players are keeping powersources in use 24/7 because any gear advantage is better than none.

The above Light powersourse example will sooner or later lose its appeal as your gear provides enough excess of stats to compensate for the detrimental effects of other powersources. For example, the growth orb that takes away 15 AC and agility per piece might become tollerable for the hefty HP bonus it adds.

The following is a pic of an open inventory showing an infusible robe (non-infused stats), my open powersource slot (greyed out), powersources inside my bags, and an item view of a powersource (Shows remaining percentage only since it's not in-use). You can also see my purity augmentation slot on the robe (slot 2, type-13) is empty.

The below pic shows the powersource activated - notice the robe changes to "infused" as well as getting the powersource stated stats added. The powersource slot now is filled with a yellow orb, and it reflects the current drain per second (this is an old pic back when powersources drained 24/7 when equiped), as well as the remaining percentage of the powersource.

-----------------------

Where to get purity augments

Preface: your purity augments do not care in what expansion you purchased or obtained them in, nor the type of gear you place them in. They are just a simple augment. This works to the players advantage because once you obtain a path to 'purchase' +25 augments, you never lose that path - and only further suppliment your options from there on.

---
    For House of Thule expansion, all purity augments are only available via purchase from Rotharran Radhelm with Dream Motes. You require kindly faction for +25 purity augs (300 motes), +20 augs for 200 motes, etc.

---
    For Underfoot expansion, cosgrove purity shards are rare random drops accross tiers -and- purchasable from the Brellium Token vendors in the various tiers. +25 augs require completion of t9 progression mission in convortuem and cost 1500 brellium tokens; +20 augs require completion of t8 progression costing 1200 tokens, etc.

For drops, the +25 purity augs only drop in tier-9 zones (convorteum, husk); +20 augs only drop in tier-8 zones; +15 augs drop in tier-7; +10 and +5 drop in tier-6.

---
    For SoD expansion, chronal shear augments are rare random drops accross tiers -and- purchasable from Zeb in the Void with Chronobines, based on your theme progression completion. +25 is available after completing t5 progression missions in Void F for 3800 chronobines; +20 are available after completing t4 progression for 1900 chronobines, etc.

Drops: +25 purity augs only drop in tier-5 zones (CoD, Bloodfields, Korafax), +20 drop in tier-4; +15 drop in tier-3; +10 drop in tier2

---

For SoF expansion, purity augments are not available as mob drops or vendor purchase.

---

For TBS exapansion, purity augments were divided between type-13 and type-14 to seperate grouper/raider options, and are only available for purchase from faction vendors using orum/orux/phosphites in Katta Castrum. For Orum purchases (group), see Trader Vallarines; the availability is also faction locked; you require ally for +20 purity, etc.

------------------------

Please comment, feedback and report errors! Obviously, this is a very caster-orientated perspective because that is what I know. If anybody would like to add melee-orientated points, please feel free!
    Last edited by scrat; 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM.
    --Retired, May 2012--
    The
    Edge-
    Walkers

Where to get Purity Augs

Code:
    Name 				 Location 	 Purity 	 Cost
    Phosphite/Crystalline xxx 	 Katta Castrum 	 5 - 20 	 100 - 1000 orum
    Windblown xxx 			 Mage summoned 	 3 - 7 random 	 free (but 20h recast per summon)
    Bronzed Crystalline Oscillator 	 LL raid reward  15 - 25 	 free (lore)
    Purified Flawless Faycite Triad LP Quest 	 25		 free (lore)
    xxx Pulsating Chronal Shear 	 Drops in SoD 	 5 - 25 	 free (but rare)
    xxx Pulsating Chronal Shear 	 Zebuxoruk 	 5 - 25 	 225 - 3800 chronobines + Void B - F/G flag
    SoD augs seem to only drop in tier4-5 zones, with 25 purity augs only dropping in tier5.
    Zeb will buy dropped augs for a fraction of their selling price, so don't let those 5 purity augs rot.
    The highest aug sold by Zeb depends on void flag: B=5 C=10 D=15 E=20 F/G=25

Raid PS Worth Considering (@100 Purity)

Code:
    100 PURITY			AC 	HP 	MANA 	Mods 
    Pure Energian Death Orb 	5	100	100	-5 all mods
    Pure Energian Elemental Orb 	10	100	0	
    Pure Energian Ethereal Orb 	15	-250	200	
    Pure Energian Growth Orb 	-40	200	0	
    Pure Energian Light Orb 	5	75	75
    Note: its practically impossible to keep mods maxxed with Death Orb, but dropping from 100 to 95 purity results in -4 to all mods(-3 @ 75). So if you really want to use Death, don't max 100 purity everything.

Comment

Thanks for the addition!

One other thing, which I did not add to the original post because of my uncertainty...remember when powersources actually had a physical number on them? Like 10000000 and as they were drained, this number decremented until 0 when empty? Since that number was replaced by a XX% the difference between misty and translucent has been...lost.

But I remember misty orbs only having like 30% or something of the lifespan of the translucent orbs - which was the only benefit of using translucent since they provide identical stats.

Anyways - it's been so long that I can't be certain. The only "obvious" difference is the level requirements between the orbs.
      --Retired, May 2012--
      The
      Edge-
      Walkers

Comment

Great info guys, thanks.

Which is the best group stone in Katta?
        Which is the best player made stone?
        Which is the best raid stone?

I have been using the Translucent Energeian Elemental Orb, as I do not like seeing big negatives, and that looks like the best value overall. Well, of the non-player made and non raid stones at least.
        Last edited by CharraX; 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrat View Post
          But I remember misty orbs only having like 30% or something of the lifespan of the translucent orbs - which was the only benefit of using translucent since they provide identical stats.
          I could be wrong, but I don't remember any difference in lifespan between misty and translucent. Translucent orbs have more powerful procs for infusible weapons than misty orbs. It doesn't matter for a caster, but the improved proc was enough to justify paying more orux for some group melee at the time. That's the only difference of which I'm certain.

Comment

Quite interested in this as well. My main question...are the player made ones the same as the faction versions?

The tradeskill or baz route intrigues me, but is it "easier" at the expense of stats?
            Magelo way out of date due to laziness...

Comment

Yes, player made are the same as vendor purchased orbs.

Unlock info from Ngreth: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/po...opic_id=143151

So your choices are:
              1. Beat Solteris 1-7 progressively unlocking more powersources as you go.
              2. Beat Bloodmoon 1 OR 2 which = Solteris 1-5. This unlocks everything but Ethereal, Elemental, Metal, and Death.
              3. Beat any of: Bloodmoon 3, Big Bynn, Deepscar, any Steam Factory, Bimbalicus, any MMM, any Crystallos, any SoD raid. This unlocks every powersource.

Any non-raider should be able to throw together a few groups for Bimbalicus and unlock every powersource.
              Last edited by Atvar; 05-04-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I'm not saying you're wrong Avtar, and maybe I'm overestimating, but is Bimb really just few-groupable by non raiders now? Seems pretty amazing if so.
                Xikariz Appledrankbaby

Comment

Originally posted by CharraX View Post
                  Great info guys, thanks.

I have been using the Translucent Energeian Elemental Orb, as I do not like seeing big negatives, and that looks like the best value overall. Well, of the non-player made and non raid stones at least.
                  For starters, the katta purchased powersources and the player made sources are the same regarding benefit. The only difference in usage, is the crafted versions are stackable until you right-click to turn it into an actual powersource.

Regarding which is best...depends on what you want out of them. Me, I prefer to not take negative hits because with 8 pieces running the hits wind up being significant. I guard preciously (when playing) my HP, Mana and AC pretty much in that order. However, just to be a dork - I use a +mana -hp orb sometimes when updating EQ Players database just to see my server ranking overtake some raiders :P But I never use the neg hp orb in game play.

If you can handle some of the neg hits, your options are greater.
                  --Retired, May 2012--
                  The
                  Edge-
                  Walkers

Comment

Originally posted by xikariz View Post
                    I'm not saying you're wrong Avtar, and maybe I'm overestimating, but is Bimb really just few-groupable by non raiders now? Seems pretty amazing if so.
                    I did it about a month ago with ~3 groups, roughly 2 groups being tower geared mains, and the fight lasted 20s. We could've handled it easily with 2 groups or maybe less. Unlocking a bunch of people's PS might be a good enough incentive to form a sufficient pickup raid.

Once you get to the final Bimbalicus, he's got 3.5 million hp and starts warping around after 1 min in which makes things interesting. That's about 60k dps you need for the end, or maybe 3-4 good group wizzies, or ~2 Tower wizzies. I'd be slightly worried about people not knowing the strat, and having people mez lock the coffins and stuff.

Comment

scrat, honestly another great guide. As a returning player with not a lot of time on my hands, I need (sadly) this sort of level of detail to get me up to speed. I've been back 3 weeks and had ZERO idea what the powerslots were for so really, great help.
                      ________
                      Gm-ford 6-speed automatic transmission picture
                      Last edited by mrbandersnatch; 03-17-2011, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I personally usually only ever use the growth orbs, +hp -ac, but no mana hits. Most people seem to think that I'm playing a necro wrong because I base everything off of hitpoints instead of mana, but hey, those that are still can't out dps me or show me how more mana is better when I never run out in the first place But overall I would say, Elemental, Light, Growth would be the best three to consider, each one can be used for different times when you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by Atvar View Post
                          I did it about a month ago with ~3 groups, roughly 2 groups being tower geared mains, and the fight lasted 20s. We could've handled it easily with 2 groups or maybe less. Unlocking a bunch of people's PS might be a good enough incentive to form a sufficient pickup raid.
                          This quote was from May 09...anyone try this recently? I'd love to unlock the Metal PS for my alt.

Comment

I used to use Light, and it was pretty decent (overall boost to everything). I recently switched to Growth, and I won't turn back. The extra HP increases my survivability just enough that it's worth the hit to AC for me (especially since I never run out of mana anymore). I've tried both Elemental and Ethereal, and I didn't care for either of them.

Comment

/bump and sorry, just noticed I didn't reference what I was asking...anyone try this recently?

Originally posted by Atvar
                              Any non-raider should be able to throw together a few groups for Bimbalicus and unlock every powersource.

Comment

Working...
                              X