X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xislaben
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2005

Xalp, beta necro dps parser

Here she is. Xalp. A glorified string parser that should ideally quickly parse an EQ log file and return information that may be useful, particularly to Necromancers. In the process of fixing this up I found several data errors that other parses (like Yalp) produce.

I made my parser somewhat pretty and cleaned up some goofy code that's near enough for distribution. I also wrapped it in an installer so you don't have to deal with maintaining the various dependencies like ADO DAO mscomctl etc etc. It'll install those for you and leave a nice uninstall script in windows' add/remove programs control.

So like, I don't have any pc's that don't have a development environment on them except one gaming pc, and that's not a great sample. So it installs fine for me, and I hope it will for you as well.

It's very very beta atm, so I'm sure you can find a dozen ways to break it, but it's good enough for government work. If you make it crash let me know how, or send me a log, and I'll fix it. There's very little error handling so odds are you won't know why it did it. It's also kind of fugly in parts, a work in progress etc.

Anyways, things it can do:
    1) give you an overall damage/dps/time/start and end date and time
    2) individual dot damage by tick with dmg and information on
    -a) crits
    -b) coa bp clicked for that dot tick
    -c) chaotic power running for that dot tick
    -d) intensity running for that dot tick
    3) total dmg /tick and including info on coabp, cp, and inten running
    4) a pretty graph of dot damage
    5) all details for dots/pet dmg the way Jalp sort of lays it out
    6) the ability to export any of the first 4 items to comma separated files for playing with in excel, or in the graph's case to a HTML document you can view in a browser or upload to a website of your own. 10 odd tiny images are included with the application in it's program directory to make it look nice.

Last edited by Xislaben; 07-18-2007, 11:49 PM.
    Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things
  • Meph
    • Apr 2005

Knew you had a parser for some time now and allways wondered when you'd give it out for public test. NIce one Xis

Gonna give it a try in upcoming days.

Comment

• Vanlor
      Dots up on EVERY TIME!
      • Jan 2007

I <3 Xislaben

Comment

• Xislaben
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Meph
        Knew you had a parser for some time now and allways wondered when you'd give it out for public test. NIce one Xis

Gonna give it a try in upcoming days.
        Well I've had little things I've used for a while, but I didn't start writing this one until maybe a week or two ago. I borrowed from some of my other projects to make it. It's kinda funny, but making it pretty (however you graduate that) took longer than coding the guts.
        Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

• Schaeffer
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Xislaben
          It's kinda funny, but making it pretty (however you graduate that) took longer than coding the guts.
          That's the way most things work, functionality is the easy part, aesthetics is always the time sink...

If electricity come from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Comment

• Aaeeldar
            • May 2007

Log size limit?

Hey Xis,

Is there a size limit for the log? I get an error when i try to open a log that is 43 mb

Comment

• Xislaben
              Super Moderator
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Aaeeldar
              Hey Xis,

Is there a size limit for the log? I get an error when i try to open a log that is 43 mb
              No size limit, but a log that big may be running an iterating variable past its upper bound.

If you can zip the file and email it to me, [email protected], I'll run it through the code and see what the issue is.

You can also try cutting the file up into smaller bits and see if it still gives you an error. The biggest log I've tossed at it was 16 megs or so.
              Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

• Vanlor
                Dots up on EVERY TIME!
                • Jan 2007

Is there an option or setting somewhere that you can change to get multiple log files? Every time I tur log on in game it just keeps adding to 1 single file... which is getting rather large. I thought that on my previous computer I had a seperate log for each session that I /log on when I was messing around with yalp but don't remember for sure.

Comment

• hughman
                  • Apr 2005

Love it! I will use it a lot!

I do think you are running into an overflow when file size is greater than something around 15-16Mb. I was getting Error 6 failures, until I cut the logs up to less than that size. I checked every section after cutting and it worked, once below that file size.

As a feature request, on the All Damage Detail page, how hard would it be to show the Number of times each spell was cast? The other half of DPS for us is mana efficiency, which is mostly related to the number of times you cast the spells. Just a thought.

Loketh on Prexus.
                  Loketh and his Toys

Comment

• Aegrusnecrox
                    Test
                    • Jun 2006

I guess i know why it blows up when I try to put my 427MB log file into it now...

-Egg

Comment

• Xislaben
                      Super Moderator
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by hughman
                      Love it! I will use it a lot!

I do think you are running into an overflow when file size is greater than something around 15-16Mb. I was getting Error 6 failures, until I cut the logs up to less than that size. I checked every section after cutting and it worked, once below that file size.
                      I hope to have this fixed tonight, by changing all integer variables to long variables, much bigger range.

Originally posted by hughman
                      As a feature request, on the All Damage Detail page, how hard would it be to show the Number of times each spell was cast? The other half of DPS for us is mana efficiency, which is mostly related to the number of times you cast the spells. Just a thought.

Loketh on Prexus.
                      That shouldn't be a problem. I was going to do something similar for pet attacks, but I may even break it down into the various forms of attacking, like your standard kick/hit/bash/slice etc, but pet procs are considered a 'hit' and can skew the numbers.

One thing I dislike about the spell dps number though, it's a total spell dmg/event time, which is great and all, but if the dot only ran for 50&#37; of the event, it's going to have a much lower dps than if it ran the entire time. So I may add both a total dps and a situational dps (dot dmg/time dot ran like ticks*6), if that's not too confusing. I don't have a good naming convention for it that makes sense intuitively.

edit:
                      Well that's not entirely true! I can parse the number of times a spell is cast, but if you are dotting two mobs at the same time I may not be able to associate the cast with the mob. There's also the case of your casting being interrupted etc. # of ticks of damage should be easier, but in the mentioned case the number of casts themselves may not be all that useful.

Originally posted by vanlor
                      Is there an option or setting somewhere that you can change to get multiple log files? Every time I tur log on in game it just keeps adding to 1 single file... which is getting rather large. I thought that on my previous computer I had a seperate log for each session that I /log on when I was messing around with yalp but don't remember for sure.
                      Not that I know of in EQ.
                      I physically rename log files for each event I take part in, so I don't have many large log files to test with, which is why that log size bug is there heh.
                      Last edited by Xislaben; 07-16-2007, 10:47 PM.
                      Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

• Viko
                        • Jul 2007

Very nice, thank you for this contribution. I was looking for something that did this and this is the best one ive found so far.

One thing that might be easy to add, is to take the # of times each dot is cast * known mana cost and divide the amount of damage by that..

Lets say a pyre spell does 30k, cast 5 times, 1000 mana each, that would give 6dmg/mana

Im not sure how specialization works along with focii, but at least this would give a general efficiency? (obviously spikey depending on crits)

thanks!

Comment

• Xislaben
                          Super Moderator
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Viko
                          Very nice, thank you for this contribution. I was looking for something that did this and this is the best one ive found so far.

One thing that might be easy to add, is to take the # of times each dot is cast * known mana cost and divide the amount of damage by that..

Lets say a pyre spell does 30k, cast 5 times, 1000 mana each, that would give 6dmg/mana

Im not sure how specialization works along with focii, but at least this would give a general efficiency? (obviously spikey depending on crits)

thanks!
                          Ya good idea, I'll do that tomorrow maybe.

As of now it's updated with extra info on the all damage page.
                          Xislaben The Rising Sun

My Dead Things

Comment

• Felicite
                            Queen Bitch
                            • Jan 2004

I physically rename log files for each event I take part in, so I don't have many large log files to test with, which is why that log size bug is there heh.
                            Sorry, Noam.. I used to have Felicite's entire life logged in friendly 200-400MB chunks. I would remember to rename them every few months.

Now that would be a good test.. *nods* And it would be like a free subscription to "Penthouse Letters".

But seriously, thank you for sharing your parser with the community, you are a class act. Tad grumpy, but class.

Felicite Belbold`Oloth * My Kitchen * Gift of Darkness * Firiona Vie
                            Cachet Belbold`Oloth * Aumnyder Boytoy * Retired 01/31/2006

Comment

• Vanlor
                              Dots up on EVERY TIME!
                              • Jan 2007

Not that I know of in EQ.
                              I mean, right now I have only one log file and every time I turn /log on it just adds to that log file. In order to get seperate files or sessions do you always have to split off of the main one? If so how exactly do I go about that? Cut/paste in notepad?

On my old pc I swear each time I turned /log on it created a new session, rather than just ading to the first one.

Comment

Working...