X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field of Scale - SoD tier3

I figured I'd continue my recent trend and grade this theme -

Tier3 SoD Field of Scale-

My first impression of Field of Scale was that it sucked. It was a coulple minutes of wanderin around until I finally saw a mob...and it wasn't just a mob. It was a giant death field of dragons and their minions. I left, and didn't return for a couple days haha. I'm glad I went back - becaue this has become one of my favorite themes.

The entire northern portion of the zone is full of "weak" con (melee-solo) mobs - dogs, birds, snakes and scorpions. There are a couple normal con escaped sarnak types up there too, but you've got to head south of the void zi to hit some camps of normal mobs.

One of the first things a first-timer will notice is the giant field if instant-death. Many rows of sarnaks & iksar that are kos, facing off against a horde of dragons and hundreds of their minions. It's okay..nothing see's invis. And the dragons / dragonkin are your friends! In fact, the dragons are the task masters in this theme. You'll get to know them well.

As always...Rasper's is the place to look up tasks & whatnot. Have I ever mentioned that I love that guy?

There are a couple reasons FoS should be on every necro's to-do list: Progression, Scorching Shadow rk2 and maybe even the type-3 (fellids palid haze) if you are reeking with empty slot-3s. The collection quest in this theme, unfortunately, is the same visible illusion clicky that our SoD lich is. However, it does come with a faction modifier that our lich does not have - which makes all iksar & sarnak in this THEME dubious con. Oh, and for groupers, this is where your class armor starts. You cannot skip getting essences from this theme.

Tasks - the now-famous iksar illusion mask quest (The Grand Illusion) should be your first priority in this theme. Get it done asap and it makes everything else...everything...easier. I expect this to be nerfed to non-repeat mode sometime in Feb 09 as it's already that way on test server.

For the rest - scroll back up to the link to Raspers and you can check them out for yourself. To open up the progression tasks from Jalad'Dar, check out this previous thread.

The mobs...are good. The animals are around 1/3 the xp as normal con mobs, but they have IMO a better loot table and can spawn named - check out this awesome thread for details on that. The normal con mobs are plentiful if you are willing to bust up camps - plenty of camps near kaesora.

My summary:
    Field of Scale: A- Why a minus? Well, because the mob density is low enough to allow just a couple people to farm nearly every animal in the zone. Since animals are what pop most of the named for loot & essences, it's high competition. Also, most of the south-western portion of the zone is just...empty. Otherwise super necro friendly, only named mobs summon (and special iksar mobs like commanders) - and way tons of room to kite. You can kite all over the dragon field if you want to.

Kurns Stronghold (tower): B A dungeon which is worth some points, it's also stuffed full of non-summoners and a necro can either pet tank with a merc or clear a swath for kiting. The xp is pretty decent, but the loot is zero. The instanced version I'd give a B+ because as a necro you can still be very effective splitting & pulling for groups - and if you have the illusion mask it's full of ownage regarding mobility and getting right to where you need to be.

Kaesora hatchery: C- Another dungeon but it's full of really mean things that like to do even worse things to necro's. Soloing here is only for the hardest of hardcore IMO because of the super tight areas and roamers. In a good group this dungeon can be very good xp.

Kaesora Library: D Another dungeon that is nearly entirely anti-necro even in groups. I suppose this was by design due to the very large size and long, straight (kite-potential) halls. Most things are anti-snare; enough roamers & adds will keep a solo necro in severe pucker mode.

One note on progression...there wasn't a single actual progression task that I was able to solo, duo or even trio. It was pretty hardcore because of the mob DPS just shreds pets.
    Last edited by scrat; 01-10-2009, 04:00 PM.
    --Retired, May 2012--
    The
    Edge-
    Walkers

Originally posted by scrat View Post
    It's okay..nothing see's invis
    In my experience some of the sarnak models do see invis, and a whole squadron can put you down with ease, pretty much no matter how well you are buffed.

Comment

I stand corrected! I must have been lucky prior to getting the mask done - at which point I never clicked invis again in this zone.
      --Retired, May 2012--
      The
      Edge-
      Walkers

Comment

The progression in this theme reminded me very much of LDoN back when it came out. These dungeons seem bigger and more packed with mobs, but our group never really felt out of control.

Was a pretty good experience doing Jaled tasks 2-4 last night, looking forward to finishing up the theme tonight! Then on to named farming...
        Magelo way out of date due to laziness...

Comment

You know that you do not need to crawl through if you have your masks. You can invis + mask past basically anything in these tasks

Maybe you knew that. Either way, if you are having more fun doing the dungeon crawl style, stick to it hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Vanlor View Post
            You know that you do not need to crawl through if you have your masks. You can invis + mask past basically anything in these tasks

Maybe you knew that. Either way, if you are having more fun doing the dungeon crawl style, stick to it hehe
            Oh, we have masks and jumped virtually all of the crawl.

To be honest pulling in these zones kinda made me feel like the old days, I had a blast.
            Magelo way out of date due to laziness...

Comment

have mask and ivis before going in (illusion drps when zoning) Might be a mob at the enterence of Library, Hatchery ya dont need worry about. Click mask and good hunting

Chasiekurosuca Ni`Shi

Pariki Ni'Shi

Skiefox Shalafi

Comment

Working...
              X