AA Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA Guide

Hey there I'm new the forums and wanted to know if we could get some sort of consensus on how to spend AA's for the first 2-300ish. This is in context of a raiding necro.

Thanks everyone

First 3 AA's should be in run speed.

When they consolidated AA's there is no longer a need to get x amount in general tab prior to moving on. But I don't remember at what level certain AA's open up. So, as you level it is best to look through what is open to you as you go. That being said look for the following:

Spell Casting Mastery
    Critical Affliction
    Mnemonic retention
    Death Peace
    Pet Discipline
    Suspend Minion
    Persistent Minion
    Affliction Mastery
    Blood Tithe
    Pet Affinity

Some, critical affliction line, will help you kill faster. Others Pet affinity, persistent minion, are good for keeping a pet that is al buffed up and has toys. And then others, Pet discipline, are for helping to control your pet.
    And behold, a pale Drogmor.And the rider that sat on it,was Todwelt.And Hell followed with.

Comment

I'd Add Willfull Death to that list. It has been very usefull to me. Allows you to continue to FD if you resist a spell that hits you if you resist it. At top level 10/10, even if spell damages you you stand a chance to remain FD, while you will stay FD if you resist 100% of the time.

Comment

I just recently became more interested in playing a Necro. Thanks for the AA info.
        Xault Xa, Necromancer of Maelin

Comment

My necro doesn't raid but my general thoughts on AA are:

the invis AA is very handy.
          the two levels of feign death can't be beat.
          you want the two AA's that give you two more spell slots

For a raid I can't see a pet being all that useful, but better for soloing, but if you want your pet to tank, theft of life can boost your healing a lot for both you and your pet, and then you get into all the Pet AA to keep your pet when you zone and be able save your pet when you log as well as let your pet receive all your group bufs

DoT damage criticals are great if your mob stays up long enough,

If the raid gets into trouble, FD can be good so someone can be left who's not dead. the AAs to make FD more resistent to spells and such is good.

Increasing your level caps is good if you're capped now. More mana and hp regen

Comment

Here's an updated version a bit more complete.

Ok I’ve made this as a check list for new and old Necromancers. If you ever wanted to know what AAs you “should” have or in what order to take them, consult this list. This is written from the perspective of taking a level one and pushing him up to 80 with 90%real/10%AA or maybe 80/20. Careful spending can get you very far in this class as we have very few “must haves”. Due to length I’m not listing the full details of each AA. Following this list you should have all the prerequisites needed to get the next one on the list as well as the appropriate level.

[__]First purchase up to Rank4 Innate Run Speed
            [__]Next get rank 1 of Mnemonic Retention
            [__]Next get rank 1 of Spell Casting Mastery
            [__]Get Rank 1 of this next Death Peace
            Now you should be at 18AAs
            Go back to
            [__]Spell Casting Mastery and get ranks 2 and 3
            You should now be at 28AAs.
            Now lets pick up some Damage
            Max this AA line out
            [__]Critical Affliction
            You should be at 64 AAs spent now. Are you lvl 70 yet?
            If so go get this:
            [__]Encroaching Darkness
            Then max:
            [__]Gift of Mana
            At this point you should have 91 AAs spent.
            You should be above level 70 at this point so work this next.
            [__]Gift of Radiant Mana
            At 94 AAs spent its time to boost damage again.
            Max this
            [__]Affliction Mastery
            At this point you should have 121 AAs spent.
            And time for more damage boosting abilities! Max this
            [__]Blood Tithe
            Should be at 157 AAs and at least 75th level now.
            [__]Go back and pick up rank 2 of Mnemonic Retention
            [__]Then snag rank 2 of Death Peace
            At 163 AAs now hit
            [__]Gift of Exquisite Radiant Mana
            At this point you should be at 178 AAs and at least 76th level preferably 80th
            You guess’d it,…Time for more damage! Max this:
            [__]Destructive Cascade *come back to this once you hit 81 and finish maxing*
            Then Max this:
            [__]Greater Blood Tithe
            Now at 242 AAs Believe it or not you’ve maxed out your damage potential on your Dots so its on to some other stuff. At this point I’d suggest adding some survivability especially for raids.
            Its hard to argue with this next AA so get it max’d
            [__] Natural Durability
            Often on raids and sometimes in groups we run low or out of mana believe it or not. Most often with mobs that DoT Drain our mana. A cool trick we get helps out a ton and I suggest getting it next.
            [__]Blood Magic
            Here you should have 266 AAs
            At this point I’d suggest a very useful AA that helps survivability on raids and in groups.
            [__]Willful Death

Look at you with 316 AAs It is time to make a choice. Are you going to tap tank or use your pet. This is mostly a personal preference and some folks head down both paths at the same time but largely from here on out you either increase your pet dps or you increase your survivability in a fight while also boosting your life tap nuke damage. I’ll let you decide but lets Assume you want to head down both. I’ll highlight which of the lines should be best to take and assume the Rank 1 of each AA is more potent then others so often folks just grab rank 1 of the entire path then go back and fill in.

Necro are known for their utility. We get several AA in that respect. This utility can help the raider or grouper and either Tap or Pet line alike. The 350 AA range would be a good time to invest in some of these. Some folks argue “you can’t live without these” I don't know if that's true but they will certainly make life easier.

UTILITY

[__]Innate Invis to Undead
            [__]Cloak of Shadows
            [__]Call to Corpse
            [__]Summon Remains
            [__]Harmshield
            [__]Whisperwind
            [__]Spell Casting Reinforcement Mastery
            [__]Deathly Pack

SPIKE DPS can fall into either Tap Tank or Pet so I’ll list it next, however you’re probably best served by going down a path and picking these up later, post 500AAs.

[__]Wake the Dead
            [__]Army of the Dead
            [__]Swarm of Decay
            [__]Rise of Bones
            [__]Gathering Dusk
            [__]Life Burn

TAP TANK

The key to tap tanking is being able to take the hits and heal more then you take.
            Remember this: First avoid it, then mitigate it, then soak it.

[__]Combat Agility
            [__]Shield Block
            [__]Combat Stability
            [__]General Sturdiness

Now that you can take the hits, let’s take care of part 2, dealing damage and healing. Bring your nuke damage up and the chance to critical heal, I’d go 1 for 1 on each.
            [__]Spell Casting Fury
            ++[__]Fury of Magic
            +++[__]Destructive Fury
            [__]Theft of Life
            And finally add this in to keep going threw stuns
            [__]Persistent Casting

PET TANKING

Ok, much like you your pet gets similar AAs and the same theory applies: First avoid it, then mitigate it, then soak it. You’ll also want to boost his damage and pick up additional ways to heal him and keep him alive.

When dealing with your pet for any reason there are some great pet utility AAs that should be picked up, many guild make this a requirement to have a pet on raids. I will list by group by include numbers indicating purchase order.

UTILITY
            [__]Suspended Minion (#1)
            ++[__]Persistent Minion

[__]Pet Discipline (#2)
            ++[__]Advanced Pet Discipline

[__]Pet Affinity (#3) *best way to keep pet alive is with buffs*

[__]Feigned Minion
            [__]Companion's Relocation

SURVIVABILITY
            [__]Fortify Companion – pet rune (#4)
            [__]Companion's Agility – pet avoidance (#9)
            [__]Study Companion – pet avoidance (#10)
            [__]Companion's Durability – hp

DPS
            [__]Death's Fury – chance to crit (#5 rank1)
            ++[__]Death's Wrath – increases crit chance
            +++[__]Companions Fury – increases crit chance
            [__]Quickening of Death – flurry (#6 rank1)
            ++[__]Companions Alacrity – increases flurry chance

HEALING
            [__]Mend Companion (#7 rank 1)
            [__]Companion's Blessing – pet heal (#8 rank 1)
            [__]Replenish Companion

After 10 I’d go back in and fill in ranks and bounce around filling them all out.
            solithan
            Super Moderator
            Last edited by solithan; 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM. Reason: Added Check Boxes. ;)
            Solithan

Comment

I been busy posting all night because I am excited to be back, but ran out of time to find this answer. I have moved to 1% shy of 76 and wll probably stay put for a while to knock out some more aa's and then bank. I did briefly hit 76 to spend some AA's, before suiciding back to 75. I just noticed that the FD AA now has a 2nd lvl at 76. What gives? What is better than the current hot button? Or, what is the upgrade? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FromTheDarkerSide View Post
                I been busy posting all night because I am excited to be back, but ran out of time to find this answer. I have moved to 1% shy of 76 and wll probably stay put for a while to knock out some more aa's and then bank. I did briefly hit 76 to spend some AA's, before suiciding back to 75. I just noticed that the FD AA now has a 2nd lvl at 76. What gives? What is better than the current hot button? Or, what is the upgrade? thanks
                Rank1 of death peace has a 1.0 second cast time.
                Rank2 of death peace has a 0.5 second cast time.

It's one of the most valuable survivability-enhancing AA upgrades we have ever gotten IMO.
                --Retired, May 2012--
                The
                Edge-
                Walkers

Comment

imo, Willful Death 10 + Feign Death 2 + 1 min aggro reset make necros pretty viable pullers these days.

Some neat tricks:
                  - When the mob procs an annoying stun/root (yes, I'm looking at you, Ghoul Root), tag it first with epic pet / swarm of decay. This worked great in LGuk.

- When the mob is an old world raid mob who likes to DT on inc (Ssra Cursed cycle, etc.), try sending in a fully runed / fortified pet. Depending on buffs and foci, the levle 76 pet can have around 18k-22k hps.

Other random AA comments:
                  - Fortify Companion 3 + Companion's Blessing 1 is a really, really good combo. It makes a lot of SoF tier 2 named farmable using the level 76 war pet with minimal pet focus.

- The checklist above is lacking in defensives, totally. I think all necros should have at least CA8/CS8 (the point at which the returns really start to suck vs the AA spent) at 70+. The more you get hit, the more you want to raise these lines.

- Shield Block AA is $$. Don't ask questions, just get it when available.

- Buy Blood Magic. It is game changing.
                  Siluuael
                  Last edited by Siluuael; 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM.
                  Siluuael - 115 Dark Elf Necromancer (main)
                  Slowsil - 99 Ogre Shaman (box)
                  Imaim - 100 Barbarian Warrior (alt)
                  Originally posted by encephalitis
                  The Fail is strong with this one.

Comment

I have a pre-nerf CoS, but was wondering if spending the AA's on Cloak of Shadows was worth it. Is it merely a fixed duration invis, or is it like the mage one that lasts forever, 'cause if its that, i wouldnt have to worry about the CoS invis dropping at the worst possible time?

Comment

Level 52 Skin of the Shadow, fixed duration invis, lasts roughly 16 minutes. Can be vendor purchased in East Freeport for roughly 20pp (cheap!), and I think it also provides ultravision and see-invis. Innate Invis Vs. Undead is still a viable AA choice imho, because even Improved Invis Vs. Undead has annoying unexpected drops. Just an alternative for those of us without prenerf CoS .
                      EDIT: My mistake, it's level 55. I use this exclusively for my invis needs, Gather Shadows is the only other 'spell' version of invis we get (not including invis vs. undead), and it will drop at the worst possible times.
                      http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/s...tml?spell=1625
                      Centinull
                      Last edited by Centinull; 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM.
                      "All that is gold, does not glitter."

Comment

Originally posted by stukka View Post
                        I have a pre-nerf CoS, but was wondering if spending the AA's on Cloak of Shadows was worth it. Is it merely a fixed duration invis, or is it like the mage one that lasts forever, 'cause if its that, i wouldnt have to worry about the CoS invis dropping at the worst possible time?
                        aye is fixed duration because its instant cast. other casters is permanent but like a 3 second cast time. CoS still has advantages. (no recast timer for instance)

Comment

I find the Insta-cast Invis/UNdeadInvis to be Totally Worth It. Being insta-cast allows you to get it off immediately after standing up from a FD near some mobs. I've noticed they don't react for a second which gives you the time you need to Invis appropriately. As an added bonus you can Invis either way on the move. I ran through OceanGreen and was Invis/InvisUndead depending on what was nearby without breaking a sweat. Definitely worth the six AAs for both.

Comment

Our community gets asked about AA progression a lot

Anybody willing to put together a comprehensive guide on the "most logical" AA progression path for the community to feedback on, and ultimately evolve into a stickied guide thread in the AA forums? It could be modified & continued yearly with the expansions.

Certainly there are different premium routes for players with different play styles - but generally speaking the quickest path to destruction & efficiency which ultimately always includes survivability.

What I am suggesting is something like this-

1) runspeed 3
                            2) regen 3
                            3) spell casting mastery 3
                            4) critical affliction 3
                            5) death peace 1
                            6) mnemonic retention 1
                            etc, etc

..with just the AA name. Details on the AA can be found elsewhere or by searching - definately nothing in this list would need explaination or descriptions.
                            --Retired, May 2012--
                            The
                            Edge-
                            Walkers

Comment

Originally posted by Osgoode View Post
                              I find the Insta-cast Invis/UNdeadInvis to be Totally Worth It. Being insta-cast allows you to get it off immediately after standing up from a FD near some mobs. I've noticed they don't react for a second which gives you the time you need to Invis appropriately. As an added bonus you can Invis either way on the move. I ran through OceanGreen and was Invis/InvisUndead depending on what was nearby without breaking a sweat. Definitely worth the six AAs for both.
                              3 aa's for IVU aa, 12 aa's for Cloak of Shadows aa.

15aa's total. That's maybe 2 or 3 solid burns of lesson at 75. Do it. You won't regret it.

sigpic Encephalitis
                              im in ur head, swelln ur brainz

Comment

Working...
                              X