AA Build for Solo/Named Killing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA Build for Solo/Named Killing...

I have read the guide about AA path, but it seems to be a "end game raiding/max DPS" kind of route. Since I dont think I will ever raid, because of my massive timezone difference and unpredictable schedule due to IRL, I think I need a different approach with which AAs I go for and in what order.

Of course the standard ones in the beginning. But I am thinking I should go for alot more utility AAs, and was also wondering: is pet tanking going to be my best bet for killing nameds?

I guess my goals are: to do alot of content solo, take out some tough nameds/bosses from old raid content solo, etc.

That being said, should i focus on basics first > utility > pet healing and tanking AAs?

Im kind of wondering if pets are even that great anymore seeing how powerful Mercs are. At what level does our pet beat out the best merc? If ever...?
    Enjoy Necrotalk 2.0!
    Help support Necrotalk.com and +++Become a SUBSCRIBER today!

In the group game, at no point does our pet become remotely close to having the survivability or durability of a t5 tank merc. If your plan is to continue 2-boxing and use mercs for named, then a tank + cleric merc combo will provide you with the best results. You can get fully t4 flagged & geared doing this without ever once grouping with another player; may have some wipes on the way but your potential nec/brd/war/clr combo reeks of domination.

However, there are a couple odd mobs/fights where our pet survivability can surpass that of a tank merc, or a player tank - fights with heavy unresistable AEs like princess klaknak in Al'kabors Nightmare. This is due to our pet run spell series & AA not having a maximum cap on the damage absorption per hit. Additionally, we can force our pet to go invulnerable. Do know that these odd scenarios are quite rare, and are the exception to the rule.

Having said that...necros can solo/molo named mobs through t4 with good reliability. The downside is the long refresh on the abilities that make this possible, so if you are killing 4phs and get a back-to-back named in the same spawn cycle...likely you'll end up waiting a good while for ability refreshes before you can take out that other named. In order to pet tank named, you'll obviously need a serious aa investment in pet aa, which have the worst ratio of benefit vs points spent.

I looked back over the AA guide, and I dont see anything in there that is leaning towards raids vs casual soloers. Were I doing this all over again I'd put some self utility higher up on the priority list like cloak of shadows - and maybe skip bloodmagic and wait for deathbloom - but those are very minor tweaks. Even natural durability will be wanted for the hp boost for death bloom and the occasional round taken. It still looks like a very solid guide to get a necro on the stright path to dps ownership.

Without that dps investment on yourself, you will take much longer to kill mobs and your pet will have to survive tanking even longer - making the prospect of soloing named even more difficult. I'd personally save pet AAs for last; the pet is our weakest link.
    --Retired, May 2012--
    The
    Edge-
    Walkers

Comment

Boxing/Named

This might not be the right spot for this topic, but here we go. My question is which is a better box for my Necro main. A Mage or a Shaman? I have been boxing my friends mage and have no problems with grinding or taken down namers. I have had the earth pet go splat before with running only 1 healer merc.

Was thinking if i went with a shammy then i could have a tank merc with it, then i would have a tank, shammy for slows, heals, etc, Necro for dps and cleric merc with it. But my main concern is with the shammy the tank merc will stay where its at, with the mage, the earth pet will scale with the content? I have just started boxing a week ago so it is new to me, and have NO experience with a tank merc at all.

I'm leaning towards the shammy box but the scaling with the pet is what is holding me up. If any of you that are boxers and have input on this i would appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrat View Post
        In the group game, at no point does our pet become remotely close to having the survivability or durability of a t5 tank merc. If your plan is to continue 2-boxing and use mercs for named, then a tank + cleric merc combo will provide you with the best results. You can get fully t4 flagged & geared doing this without ever once grouping with another player; may have some wipes on the way but your potential nec/brd/war/clr combo reeks of domination.

However, there are a couple odd mobs/fights where our pet survivability can surpass that of a tank merc, or a player tank - fights with heavy unresistable AEs like princess klaknak in Al'kabors Nightmare. This is due to our pet run spell series & AA not having a maximum cap on the damage absorption per hit. Additionally, we can force our pet to go invulnerable. Do know that these odd scenarios are quite rare, and are the exception to the rule.

Having said that...necros can solo/molo named mobs through t4 with good reliability. The downside is the long refresh on the abilities that make this possible, so if you are killing 4phs and get a back-to-back named in the same spawn cycle...likely you'll end up waiting a good while for ability refreshes before you can take out that other named. In order to pet tank named, you'll obviously need a serious aa investment in pet aa, which have the worst ratio of benefit vs points spent.

I looked back over the AA guide, and I dont see anything in there that is leaning towards raids vs casual soloers. Were I doing this all over again I'd put some self utility higher up on the priority list like cloak of shadows - and maybe skip bloodmagic and wait for deathbloom - but those are very minor tweaks. Even natural durability will be wanted for the hp boost for death bloom and the occasional round taken. It still looks like a very solid guide to get a necro on the stright path to dps ownership.

Without that dps investment on yourself, you will take much longer to kill mobs and your pet will have to survive tanking even longer - making the prospect of soloing named even more difficult. I'd personally save pet AAs for last; the pet is our weakest link.
        Awesome thanks Scrat!

Glad I asked. But I have to say I'm a bit dissapointed A merc outperforms our pet in the end. To me that makes our pet completely obsolete except in certain raid situations or rare nameds that would require the pet strategy. Thats a real bummer, kind of takes the wind out of my sails because I was looking forward to having a long loving relationship with skinny bones. Now its like, why even buy my pet spells if I can afford a merc?

OK so I will follow this guide and just put a few more utility AAs in as I go.
        Enjoy Necrotalk 2.0!
        Help support Necrotalk.com and +++Become a SUBSCRIBER today!

Comment

Originally posted by Umbrello View Post
          To me that makes our pet completely obsolete except....
          Just think of your pet as freebie DoT for added DPS, and maybe a speedbump if all goes wrong

RETIRED AFTER 12 YEARS - 01/09/11

Comment

Originally posted by Grendelord View Post
            This might not be the right spot for this topic, but here we go. My question is which is a better box for my Necro main. A Mage or a Shaman? I have been boxing my friends mage and have no problems with grinding or taken down namers. I have had the earth pet go splat before with running only 1 healer merc.

Was thinking if i went with a shammy then i could have a tank merc with it, then i would have a tank, shammy for slows, heals, etc, Necro for dps and cleric merc with it. But my main concern is with the shammy the tank merc will stay where its at, with the mage, the earth pet will scale with the content? I have just started boxing a week ago so it is new to me, and have NO experience with a tank merc at all.

I'm leaning towards the shammy box but the scaling with the pet is what is holding me up. If any of you that are boxers and have input on this i would appreciate it.
            Thats a tough call i think, nec/mag box vs nec/shm box. I'd perfer shm for the outstanding buffs, slows, group heals & better heal over times. Its nice to have an on-demand healer & curer instead of being forced to rely exclusively on merc AI. You'll also be able to nec/shm box named just fine using your shm to heal your pet; a nec/mag combo will likely require the addition of a cleric merc to solo many named. And if you ever decide to do older raid content like DoN progression, Anguish robe farming, etc - you'll be needing a player healer because mercs are not allowed in raid instances.

Your concern about merc scaling vs pet scaling sort of throws me off, like maybe you worded your concern weird.

Mercs scale with their owner, forever. When you ding, they ding - and they dont need any AA investment at all in order to perform great other than getting your tier-5 hiring capability. Pets need hefty AA investment with each expansion, a continual supply of mage/defiant gear, and pet focus. The difference between a level 82 pet and a level 87 pet is nice power jump percentage-wise, but falls far short from the massive difference in power of a level 82 tank merc vs an 87 tank merc.

Regarding concern about scaling...it is pets that dont scale well enough in comparrison to content. Mercs scale just fine.
            --Retired, May 2012--
            The
            Edge-
            Walkers

Comment

Working...
            X