X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Systems Down

Originally posted by Station.com
    Dear valued SOE Customers,

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).
    Semper Fi,
    ---Drazz
    Mikaal Drazzminius
    Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merge

Necrotalk Admin
    EQ Traders Super Moderator
    EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Anyone heared anything as to why its down? I went to log in this morning before work and couldn't... and that sucks lol
    Mariki Mcbadass - Necromancer, Main - Officer, Knights of the Shadows Bane
    Brenda - Bard, Box - Member, Knights of the Shadows Bane
    Zina - Shaman, Box - Member, Knights of the Shadows Bane
    Pheona - Ranger, Box - Member, Knights of the Shadows Bane

Comment

It has to do with the PSN being hacked a little while back. Apparently, they are implementing new security measures and had to pull everything down.

Let's just hope it isn't for over a week like PSN...
      Semper Fi,
      ---Drazz
      Mikaal Drazzminius
      Rodcet Nife by Birth / Quellious by Merger / Povar by Re-Merge

Necrotalk Admin
      EQ Traders Super Moderator
      EQ Magelo Advisor/Moderator

Comment

Ahhh... yeah that would suck even more. I need to get lvl 90, am still sitting at 89 and my boxes need some exp they are only 80 and 82 lol
        Mariki Mcbadass - Necromancer, Main - Officer, Knights of the Shadows Bane
        Brenda - Bard, Box - Member, Knights of the Shadows Bane
        Zina - Shaman, Box - Member, Knights of the Shadows Bane
        Pheona - Ranger, Box - Member, Knights of the Shadows Bane

Comment

So... hackers bust into sony & cause massive disruption & chaos. Sony sues hackers. Other hackers worldwide are offended at the lawsuit and launch coordinated counter-attack. Sony offers 50% sale on station cash over the weekend. The following Monday all of SoE is brought offline with no warning.

I wonder how many SC buyers during the sale now have compromised accounts?
          --Retired, May 2012--
          The
          Edge-
          Walkers

Comment

SoE is promising a free 30 days to all account holders + 1 day for every day the servers are down. They supposedly are also looking at more compensation benefits for the services that have been down this entire time.

The only eq news source seems to be their facebook http://www.facebook.com/EverQuestLive

Everybody should be getting one of these in their email..

Originally posted by SOE Emailer
            Customer Service Notification

May 2, 2011

Dear Valued Sony Online Entertainment Customer:

Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained and we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;
            2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
            3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE™'s services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013

Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at (877) 382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
            Sony Online Entertainment LLC
            --Retired, May 2012--
            The
            Edge-
            Walkers

Comment

Today I received that email for every account I owned. To the correct contact email addresses.

The problem is, all the links have been redirected to "soe dot innovyx dot net" (where " dot " is "." of course) with a variable being passed that has a unique value to tell the site which link was clicked. Nice honey pot.

Innovyx Inc.
              710 2nd Avenue, #790
              Seattle, WA 98104
              US
              Phone: 206 674 8720
              Checking their home page I learn "This server is used by Innovyx, Inc. for permission marketing on the Internet." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permission_marketing - so, Internet scum bags?

Just a friendly reminder.. never use the links in email, go to the site directly in a fresh browser.

Felicite Belbold`Oloth * My Kitchen * Gift of Darkness * Firiona Vie
              Cachet Belbold`Oloth * Aumnyder Boytoy * Retired 01/31/2006

Comment

They supposedly are also looking at more compensation
                Free Abashi's Rod for every necro!

Okay, I know it's not going to happen that way, but it sure would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicite View Post
                  Today I received that email for every account I owned. To the correct contact email addresses.

The problem is, all the links have been redirected to "soe dot innovyx dot net" (where " dot " is "." of course) with a variable being passed that has a unique value to tell the site which link was clicked. Nice honey pot.
                  Seriously? I'd report that. Whoever owns that domain/site is going to be involved somehow. I'd send that email along to sony.
                  Morrbidd Bynayture
                  Bristlebane

Comment

"A press release was issued May 2, 2011 outlining these details. We are sending customer service notifications via email to all of our impacted account holders whose customer data may have been stolen as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These emails will be sent by Innovyx, our third party email distributor, and will contain either 'soe.innovyx.net' or 'soe.sony.com' in the sender field. "

from http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/

Looks legit to me. Unless of course their website was hacked, which would just be absolutely hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenocyde View Post
                      Looks legit to me. Unless of course their website was hacked, which would just be absolutely hilarious.
                      ^^^$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Jenocyde View Post
                        "A press release was issued May 2, 2011 outlining these details. We are sending customer service notifications via email to all of our impacted account holders whose customer data may have been stolen as a result of an illegal intrusion on our systems. These emails will be sent by Innovyx, our third party email distributor, and will contain either 'soe.innovyx.net' or 'soe.sony.com' in the sender field. "

from http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/

Wow, I admit I totally missed that.. but, legit or not why would I use a link through some random .net web site to get to a DOJ or other government web site. It's stupid.

Felicite Belbold`Oloth * My Kitchen * Gift of Darkness * Firiona Vie
                        Cachet Belbold`Oloth * Aumnyder Boytoy * Retired 01/31/2006

Comment

Sadly I see this as a perfect reason for someone debating it to quit EQ. I know it has at least been mentioned in conversations with my friends.

On a more positive note, this is also the perfect time for SoE to develop a free-to-play model of EQ. I'm all for that.
                          Magelo way out of date due to laziness...

Comment

Originally posted by Zeli View Post
                            Sadly I see this as a perfect reason for someone debating it to quit EQ. I know it has at least been mentioned in conversations with my friends.
                            Yep.

A few days of no everquest and some people are realizing that life is okay without it, maybe even better.

The servers will have to remain down through this weekend for me to incur a gameplay loss; finally an advantage at being casual woohoo. Maybe saturday I'll start mowing at 5am instead of my normal 10am, and finish yardwork in one day instead of needing the whole weekend.
                            --Retired, May 2012--
                            The
                            Edge-
                            Walkers

Comment

Originally posted by scrat View Post
                              Maybe saturday I'll start mowing at 5am
                              I hope your neighbors don't own guns...

This whole thing is going to give Sony/PSN/SoE a pretty bad black eye. Had a buddy call me last night, bigtime PS3 guy...asking about which Xbox 360 to buy. He dropped $300+ because he wanted to play the new Black Ops map pack, and not wait for PSN to come back. People are pissed and it won't just fade away over time.

And yeah, I'm starting to notice the subtle changes without EQ. I'm uber casual, but even without that constant pressure to gear/AA/flag in the back of my mind I'm pretty sure my blood pressure has dropped. Funny the things you don't realize were having that effect on you. Maybe that makes me lame, oh well.
                              Magelo way out of date due to laziness...

Comment

Working...
                              X